Orpie Pullet Sneezing and Wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crazy4Orpingtons, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Crazy4Orpingtons

Crazy4Orpingtons New Egg

Oct 5, 2011
    Anyone help me here? Gratefully received!

I am a new novice owner with three Orpington pullets - approx 21-24 weeks. One of them (a Splash) has started to sneeze a couple of days ago, and today sounds wheezy. Her breathing is sometimes laboured. But she is eating and drinking well. Approx 8 days ago I introduced three new bantams to my little flock and also put some straw in the coop to keep them warmer at night. Do you think this could be the cause? She was fine until I added the straw. I have taken it out today.
    Any help, advice or tips really gratefully received.
    Thanks. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]
    http://shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm
    click on "my chicken has a cold, part I, II, and III"
    incubation periods are discussed which might help you

On the other hand, sneezing and wheezing can also be environmental. Dust, ammonia levels in the coop, and other things may be the cause. When you open the coop in the morning, do you smell ammonia? If so, then the bedding needs more care. This can be very hard on their respiratory passages. Do you use cedar chips? They are irritating.

Here is a link if you believe it to be a disease:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    diagnosis charts at bottom

Edited to add: I just reread your post and realized that the straw was added. Ok, if it was moldy then that might cause it or very dusty. I'd separate her if possible and see if she is better tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  3. Crazy4Orpingtons

Crazy4Orpingtons New Egg

Oct 5, 2011
    Hi
    Thankyou so much for coming back to me so quickly! I really appreciate your help and your time.

I've just got back firm the vets because I was getting really worried about her, he said she has a respiratory tract infection and has prescribed Tylan dissolvable to go in the water. The whole flock have to be treated. He told me it could have been a number of things, including airborne viruses that wild birds carry - impossible to guess what has done it.

I have taken the straw out of the coop anyhow as a preventative measure (it had been in for just under a week) - and see how we get on.

She's fine in herself, eating, drinking and generally mooching about as normal with her other fellow feathered friends. Let's hope this Tylan does the trick.

Btw, vet said eggs are ok to eat (Bantams are laying, Orpies aren't as they are too young) - but I've read other threads saying you shouldn't eat the eggs whilst treated with this particular product. Any suggestions? Though think I will bin them until they are off the antibiotics ( it just doesn't sound very tempting!)

Thanks again!

Emma [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Well the vet's a vet, lol! I'd do what the vet says. But yes, it sounds unappetizing to me also to eat them when they are taking it. Unfortunately I don't know the particulars of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by