Orpington babies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nugget, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    I only got 1 buff orpington from the breeder (had asked for more, but half the eggs put in the incubator didn't hatch). So, with nothing but 2 week old wyandottes to compare this baby to, I am not sure what to make of the striking comb and wattle development on it! It's 2 weeks old now and has lost a lot of baby fluff already. Compared to the wyandottes the comb is very large. Still no pigment to it though. I can post a pic if necessary, but is 2 weeks WAY too early to be worrying about the gender of a BO?

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    A picture would help. I have a few chicks that are just days old with combs, though.

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    It is a little early....but we always like pics no matter what! [​IMG] Also...the Wynadottes have a different kind of comb...I think they call it pea comb!?! They basically look like they have nothing forever!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wyandottes have a rose comb and they don't get larger for months. Just post a pic and we can tell fairly quickly, I bet.

5. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Quote:Thanks Speckledhen....I couldn't think for sure what is was called and didn't have time to look it up then!!

6. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    I got this idea from someone on this site (I can't remember the name!) I've been taking pictures of all my chicks each week to watch how they grow. These are all 'Ruby' from 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks and 3 weeks (today). See any sign of rooness in there?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

Yes, I'm afraid that Ruby is a RUDY. And it doesn't look like a Buff Orpington, either. The leg color is correct for a Buff Orp, but the color says more RIR, perhaps even Speckled Sussex, both breeds I own. Maybe a cross?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Agree, definitely not a buff orpington and most certainly a boy.

Jody

9. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    I was wondering what was with the brown wings... the farmer had pure lines he bred and sold, so I was trusting this was an orpington...

Wow, raising chicks isn't for the faint of heart, is it?

10. speckledhen

Even with a good breeder, every once in a blue moon, a rooster manages to get out and visit ladies that aren't supposed to be his, LOL. Cute little guy, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by