and any other "ya can do better here or there"

Please be blunt!
smile.png
that way I don't have to decode your
trying to be nice! lol

Thanks in advance

8696_bo_roo.jpg

Last edited:
i like that bird!!! lol im new to this . my wife love the way the buffs look she wants some.

I don't know much about breeding Orpingtons
but it looks like you should try and breed out the black in the tail

Quote:
Agreed.

Just pull the black feathers out
lau.gif

No, seriously-I know nothing about orps, but look forward to seeing what some orp ppl have to say.
smile.png

For me, I would cull him and raise another roo.

The black tail feather says it all for me. You also want him to be short in the back length.

Look on Hinkjc's website at her buff orp roosters.

I have been debating if I wanted to critique this rooster or not, mostly because of the time I knew I would put into thinking about this perty boy. I personally find buff the most difficult color to breed. It presents many challenges, the most common is the inconsistency of the buff tone throughout the bird. The red wing bar is something I avoid if possible. Black and White feathers in the tail are not terrible. It is worse if its in the neck and wings in my opinion, as well as the underfluff. The main color you want to avoid is white. Black can be worked with. Although your end goal is to produce consistent buff color throughout all parts of the bird, including right down the entire feather shaft.

I try not to judge body shape too much on youngsters. This boy appears very young (probably under 6 months). If I'm wrong on that, then I would likely have reservations on letting him grow out any further. Less than a year (and sometimes even 2 years) is too early in most cases to know how he will truly fill out - even his color. If he is your only possible rooster, you could certainly grow him out and try to match him to hens that offset his faults. Sometimes this will resolve your issues and sometimes it will produce new issues. The only way to know is to test him. If I had a choice between him and a much cleaner roo, he would be gone without a second thought.

As he matures more, I'd look for the back to appear short and wide across. The widening can take up to 2 years to fully fill in, but he should be thick (broad) through his back. He is looking a little long and perhaps a little slimmer than I'd like, but I am thinking that is his juvie age showing and possible that will look better as he fills in more. It would be interesting if you keep him to see how he changes as he matures more.

I always find buff the most interesting color to follow through maturity.

Jody

I am finding this thread very interesting (wish I could see the picture
sad.png
)

I have a buff roo who is about 4 and a half months old. He has not matured at all like my blue, black and splash Orpintons roos who have been very typy from day one.

So must be it is normal for the buffs to mature differently than the blues??

Theresa

Back
Top Bottom