Orpington Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by tberggren, Jul 27, 2008.

1. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    I hope you will not mind all the questions, because it turned out that I ended up with several. If you could post your thoughts on all of them I would greatly appreciate it. [​IMG]

Here goes, I have four really nice hens, two black, one blue and one splash. I am wondering which it would be better to get to breed with them, a splash roo or a blue?

I know with the splash roo the offspring would only be blue and splash no blacks. (at least if I understand what I've been instructed properly) Would that be a bad thing? Is that what most are interested in anyway?

Also I have a choice between two splash roo's (both equally nice) one has more of a distinct pattern that the other, am I correct in assuming that he is the one I should go with??

I also have a choice of two blues (again both equally nice) one is darker than the other, if I were to choose a blue would you recommend going with the darker boy??

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help. Really looking forward to hearing your replies.

Warm Regards
    Theresa

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think I would first try to determine which one has the best body type, leg and eye color. Plumage color would be secondary to those, IMO, unless you specifically want all mostly blue chicks (all blue in splash over black).

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:I agree with Cyn. Can you post some pictures. I would be glad to help you. [​IMG]

Edited to add:
    Do you know what the splashes parents looked like? Did they have nice lacing?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  4. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    Quote:I will try to post some pictures, and no I don't know what the parents looked like but will see if the breeder will send me some pictures.

Thanks [​IMG]

5. tberggren

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by