Orpington breeding questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MommaOrp, Jun 12, 2011.

1. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I have in my breeding pen currently, 1 white roo, 1 buff hen, 1 white hen, 1 blue hen and 1 black hen, all show quality. These are the only breeding birds i have at the moment (my big challenge this year to expand and breed). I'm interested to know what colours i'm likely to get out of each mix (they are all laying well and he is proven fertile, treading all everyday), Any opinions much appreciated!!

2. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Also would it better to use the white roo or swap for a blue black or buff?

3. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Can anybody help??

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    what goal do you have in mind? need to know what you want in the end to give advice [​IMG]

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    what goal do you have in mind? need to know what you want in the end to give advice [​IMG]

6. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    we have all our orps together right now with black,blue,lavender roos over white,black,blue,buff an lavender hens.we have hatched prob 200-250 chicks from this mix we get pure blacks alot a few pure blues an a good amount of pure lavs most of our hens are lav or buff right now.we have hatched 2 light chicks both were splash.an a good amount of a buff black cross chest looks buff rest is all black.hope this helps i would prob but my black roo in there if i were you.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    one thing you need to understand is even though some will look one color it will have color "bleed through" with mixed colors. If you plan to show or sell them I wouldn't mix colors, if you want for yourself it doesn't matter....

8. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    Quote:def agree with that the blacks seem to do fine but the lavs an blues we do see bleeding in some that you can never tell for about 6-8 weeks.next year we will have one bbs pen one lav x black pen an the rest will free range an be splash chicks for backyard flocks.

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    black roos tend to have bleed through in the hackles/saddle feathers if they have mixed color lineage. I have mixed ameraucana, many look like pure but I would NEVER sell them as such because I know the other colors can come out at any time in their offspring, just not a fair thing to pass on to someone else...so they go as easter eggers, not pure.
    like I said, outcome is key, what you want will decide what you put together...

10. MommaOrp

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    this is great guys.... ideally i'd like some whites?? i'm not sure how achievable this is, i have white on white in there but will their offspring be pure?? also i'd like some buff's, so what sort of mix would i get from white x buff?? i've dabbled with black x buff and black x blue, i found this colour bleed through you spoke of, i kept 2 roo's that have the tinge of buff through the hackles but have decided not to use them for breeding for reasons you spoke of. I have a blue roo i could also use but at present the white one is in there. My main goal is to breed all pure but as i said i only have one of each at present, I'm mostly interested to know what colours would be best to begin with to acheive the best result for future breeding. Thank you so much for helping me out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by