Orpington chick sudden dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by harsene, Aug 24, 2016.

1. harsene

harsene New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    Hello, I am new to this forum. And new to raising chickens too :)
    I bought eight mixed kinds of baby egg layers 4.5 months ago, raised them since they were one week old. A daily joy to see them growing and changing. Out of the two Orpington chicks turned to be rooster so I donated him back to the store.
    The other seven chicks were doing great and started to lay eggs beginning last month. Today I found the Orpington dead in the coup. I'm a physician so I have the nerve and curiosity to perform an autopsy on her. The only thing I found and I'm sure it explains her death was a large blood clot in her lung. Also she had a full shelled egg and many other little eggs in her belly. I just need reassurance that it is not a common cause of death in chickens. So sad to see her dead after I raised her since she was a baby :(

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. It is easy to get attached to these chickens, especially ones you raise from babies. We have a flock of 9, with one orpington. I don't think that is a common occurrence.

3. orpington13

orpington13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    I am sorry for your loss.

Hope BYC helps lighten your day![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by