Orpington chickens gender 3-4 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Crazy4chickens2018, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Crazy4chickens2018

Crazy4chickens2018 Hatching

Mar 22, 2019
    Hi chicken peeps! I am new to raising baby chicks. I started with ready to lay chickens last year and thought I would try getting some babies this year. I picked up 4 orpingtons on March 4. Two were about a week old and two were a couple days old so they are now about 3-4 weeks old. I am starting to worry that three of them are roos! I have a pure black, a splash, a silver laced and a chocolate. The chocolate orpington chick was sold to me as a pullet. The breeder said that the chocolate orpingtons that she gets are always female. This is the one that looks the most like a rooster. Maybe you guys can give me your guesses as you are all much more experienced than I am, Picture 1is the splash( unsure of sex) picture 2 is the pure black( unsure of sex) picture 3 is the silver laced (sure that ones a female) Picture 4 is the chocolate(sold as a female but I am thinking this is definitely a male.
    Thank you!!! IMG_2906.JPG IMG_2907.JPG IMG_2908.JPG IMG_2911.JPG

2. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Too young to be sure. Repost at 8 weeks.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  3. Ryder

Ryder Chirping

Oct 16, 2018
    Ozark Missouri
    I would say the 2 one and the 4 one are rooster

4. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    It's difficult to tell because the lighting in your pics isn't the best. Try to take new photos outside in natural light with close ups of the head including comb and any wattle growth. However even based on these pics I would agree that #4 is likely a roo in the making. The others are not showing any major cockerel signs yet but it is quite early.

5. Chirehe

Chirehe Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Arkansas
    The last one looks like a cockerel, the second one might be but I’d wait a few weeks to know for sure. I hope you have a few pullets in there!

6. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Quack!

Jul 8, 2018
    AL
    Too young. Please post again once they reach 6-8 weeks of age or older. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: