Orpington chicks 2 are black - 2 are grey/ silver???? Any ideas

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs Chickens, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Mrs Chickens

Mrs Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Hi Just had a relitivly sucsessfull hatch of Orpingtons their Mum & Dad are black. However I have two very light grey/ silver chicks just hatch the other two are black just like my last hatch??

Will they darken up or have I been sold a cross Mum & Dad and am gonna get something new and intresting from these two chicks???

As a matter of intreast to all this is my seconed hatch of Orps and they have both taken longer to hatch than the norm we are on day 23 and the last has just come out. 3 eggs left, still no pipping I will leave today then remove.

Thanks from Mrs Chicken

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Could they be lavender? Or blue/splash? Congratulations on the wonderful hatch!

3. Mrs Chickens

Mrs Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    Winterbourne
    Can you get that from a pure black Mum & Dad??

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    You can get lavender from two black parents if they both carry lavender. The chances of it popping up unexpectedly in a random population of birds from a normal black flock are about zero, but if they are from a breeder that had some lavender in their lines, it is possible. Blue or splash will not "pop up" from black parents. Post pics if you can.

5. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Light grey or silver chicks could turn out to be white. White 'sports' have been known to come from pure black birds in the past.

David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by