Orpington Chicks (My 1st time with chickens)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dermerchickens, Feb 27, 2014.

1. dermerchickens

dermerchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Culpeper, Va
    I am getting a mail order of Orpington Chicks, this is my first time with chickens/chick. I am ordering 10, but am only keeping 6 due to housing, so I will eventually sell some.

I was just wondering what I need? (I want ONLY the absolutely have to have, no extras that are good to have, just have to have)

Does anyone have any tips or anything about them? I am getting them mail order, straight run from Mypetchicken.com
    They get shipped at 1 day old, and everything else you guys probably know, so I need to stop blabering on so you can actually read and answer!

-Emma

2. dermerchickens

Feb 27, 2014
    Culpeper, Va
    Anyone? Basic chick care?

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    You need a brooder. This can be just a large cardboard box. Old towels will work for bedding. Newspaper is too slick for chicks.
    You need a heat lamp to keep the temperature in the box at 95 degrees the first week. If they are inside your house 60 watt bulbs will work. In a cooler area you will need a 250 watt bulb. Reduce the heat 5 degrees each week.
    You need chick starter and a feeder.
    It's good to start them out with vitamins/electrolites in their water.
    You need a waterer. They are inexpensive at feed stores.
    You need to protect them from cats, dogs and kids.
    You'll have more questions once you get them so feel free to ask![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  4. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    You are going to need to set up a brooder with a way to warm them (most use a reflector and a light bulb) and a feeder with chick starter in it and a waterer with water in it. You will need bedding for the floor of the brooder (I used pine shavings). All the supplies can be gotten at a feed store. Most chick cateloges also have basic chick rearing advice. Also many many threads on chick rearing here on backyard chicken.....you need to hunt them down and do some reading all the answers are already here.

5. cbascom

cbascom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    So I am also on my first batch of chicks, they are 4 weeks old tomorrow. Basically, you need warmth, food, water, and protection. Mine are in a "brooder" made of cardboard into a ring in the shed outside. The shed provides protection, and the cardboard is a draft barrier. I have a 250 watt infrared heat lamp to keep them warm (it is important that they can get away from the heat as well). The heated area should be about 95 degrees.There is a danger in having a heat lamp of fire...be sure it has a porcelain base, and secure it VERY well, not just by it's clamp. They have gone through 50 lbs of chick starter in the 4 weeks (there are 24 of them). Be sure that they cannot get in their food, they will poop in it. Now that they are bigger,they have a hanging feeder, but I started them with one of those long ones with the little holes for them to stick their heads in. Make sure they have a ready supply of fresh water but be sure they cannot drown or even get themselves wet in it. I started with a little quart sized one that has only a narrow trough for the water.
    When you unpack them, briefly dip their beaks in the water, they will be thirsty.
    I hope this helps a little. I wish I had more advise, but like I said, I am new at this too. Good luck with them

1 person likes this.
  6. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    do you have a picture of your cardboard box brooder ? I need to make one soon. I have been thinking of cardboard but not sure if it is safe with heat lamp.

7. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    I recommend putting marbles in the water as chicks will fall asleep ANYWHERE and can easily drown in their waterer.

1 person likes this.
  8. dermerchickens

Feb 27, 2014
    Culpeper, Va

I am going to make my brooder out of a plastic tote so I can reuse it. :)- Will coarse wood shavings with paper towels over them work for bedding? I'll take the paper towels of in a week or two.
    I am going to either borrow a heat lamp from a friend or get one. I will eventually get one. :)
    Our house is a cooler house, an old one, the temp drops more at night. Would I need more wattage?
    I am going to borrow a feeder and waterer from a friend also, I will get one soon though.
    My book told me to put a tablespoon of sugar in the water when I first get them. True?
    I have a cat, a dog and a 1 and a half year old brother.. and a little sister on the way. But they'll be outside when she is born. I am going to keep the chicks in my room, with the door shut.

When do I stop giving my chicks the chick starter? When I stop I switch to crumbles until they are big enough to eat pellets correct?

Also, is it true to handle them only if you need to the first 3-5 days, because the yolk sac in their abdomen?

Thanks!!

9. dermerchickens

Feb 27, 2014
    Culpeper, Va
    Okay, I think we have some marbles.:)

Thanks!

10. dermerchickens

Feb 27, 2014
    Culpeper, Va
    Shmeggs:

I am making a brooder out of a plastic tote, I'll try and put a pic up after I finish it. :D

They won't be shipped till the 2nd week of March.. I want them now!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by