Orpington Cockerel and Pullet??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MedSchlFarmers, Jan 27, 2016.

1. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    I bought these Orpington babies in a straight run. They are only 3.5 weeks today, but I feel like we can already tell one is a rooster and one is a hen. Am I right? If I'm not, that's ok too! Beauty is my daughter's favorite and we aren't allowed to keep roosters :-(

The first 2 photos are Mrs. Potts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last 3 are Beauty or Mr. Beauty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Boy that second one is really a boy. I think you are correct, you have one of each. Very cute chicks.

1 person likes this.
  3. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree, one of each. IMO any bird that has red/ pink in the comb at 3-5 weeks is a boy.

1 person likes this.
  4. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Since we will have to rehome him, how long would you wait to be 100% sure. Or is it pretty obvious. Boy do I wish we could keep the pair, maybe later down the road in a different home....

5. roosterlover12

roosterlover12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    east TN
    That third pic is surely a roo

1 person likes this.
  6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's obvious to me now. If you want complete reassurance for yourself wait until they are 6 weeks old. You'll have no doubts then. You don't sound like your the type of person to live with denial. There are those that wait for crowing at 12 -17 weeks of age and then still ask if hens make crow like sounds. Then they wait and see if they get eggs...denial can be powerful. But for you your going to see long legs and stance plus that comb will be very large and even more red at 6 weeks. It will scream "cockerel" to you especially since you've a pullet to compare to of same age.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thank you all! I was pretty sure, but I'm new to this. Beauty made it pretty easy, especially having Mrs. Potts to compare. Does Beauty look like a Lavender Orp also, like Mrs. Potts?

I also have 4 Easter Eggers from the same hatch day (3.5 weeks yesterday). Only one has a small single row pea comb, all the others have 3 rows and much larger combs. Is it easy to tell with EE also? I would be so sad to only have 1 hen out of 4!

Here's who I think is a hen....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all the others have combs that look very similar to this one, but the feathering is different colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. curious chickee

Top comb female
    Bottom comb male usually, as soon as I see red before 6 weeks I seperate and rehome

1 person likes this.
  9. MedSchlFarmers

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Curious chickadee, do you mind if I post pictures of the others? I fear I only have 1 EE pullet then. Who would have ever thought I'd have so many Roos?!?

10. curious chickee

Go ahead and post. I know how you feel. I got free chicks with feed and picked out all EE chicks, all 7 were boys so bummed, which is why I don't buy straight run from hatcheries, they always through in their extra boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by