Orpington Color & Gender Confusion!

thepromise

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 26, 2010
Orange County
So I hatched out some Orpingtons July 4th weekend. I gave some away and sold some as chicks. Now I have these five left. Does anyone know what Gender they are? and what color they are??? I think I have one Blue, but when the sun shines on another. It looks Blue too? any guess is welcome.
big_smile.png
Thanks There are two pics each for the chicks.

chick1.jpg

Chick15.jpg

Chick #1

Chick2.jpg

Chick25.jpg

Chick #2

Chick35.jpg

Chick3.jpg

Chick #3

Chick45.jpg

Chick4.jpg

Chick #4

Tappy4.jpg

Tappy5.jpg

Chick #5

Tappy1.jpg

Chick #5 as an Egg with Tape around his shell due to cracks from The USPS!

DSC00466.jpg

Chick #5 just 1 day old.

Any Guess would help!!! Thank You!!!
smile.png

They are blue black splash, the variety is called blue. All look to be pullets, the splash number four has roo features but the comb is pale so unsure. All black birds develop a green/blue iridescent sheen to the feathers. You can look more into how the breeding of blue black and splash plays out. Basically two blues make blue black and splash offspring. A black and blue make black and blue. A splash and black make all blue.

Last edited:
#2 pullet
#4 roo
#5 roo

1 and 3 could be pullets too, not sure.

I'd have to go with what cowgirl71 said.

good luck with sexing we didn't know until they developed their saddle & hackle feathers . I have a blue & splash roo that everyone thought was pullets until those developed I knew in my heart the splash was a roo . but you have some prety blues & and a splash.The breeder thought they were pullets as well.lol here in a couple of weeks we are going to do a trade with one of the roos for a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom