Orpington Color Genetics and Breeding

Jul 11, 2017
Oklahoma
I currently have a Lavender pair, a Lavender pullet (from different line) a Blue hen, a Blue cockerel, 2 Mauve pullets, a Chocolate pullet, and 2 Black (possibly split Chocolate) cockerels. I want to make my own phenomenal lines and make breeding Orpingtons my main business.

How would you better the color and overall shape of the Orpingtons? I read somewhere that for Blues, you breed two Blues together and pick a Black male from that breeding. Then you take that Black and breed it to Blue for 2 seasons and pick the best Blues from those breedings. And finally you breed Blue to Blue for 3 generations before starting the process over again. Is it the same with other colors? How would you better the Lavender since it breeds true?

I currently have a Lavender pair, a Lavender pullet (from different line) a Blue hen, a Blue cockerel, 2 Mauve pullets, a Chocolate pullet, and 2 Black (possibly split Chocolate) cockerels. I want to make my own phenomenal lines and make breeding Orpingtons my main business.

How would you better the color and overall shape of the Orpingtons? I read somewhere that for Blues, you breed two Blues together and pick a Black male from that breeding. Then you take that Black and breed it to Blue for 2 seasons and pick the best Blues from those breedings. And finally you breed Blue to Blue for 3 generations before starting the process over again. Is it the same with other colors? How would you better the Lavender since it breeds true?
I'm still trying to figure out how to make a mauve... ugh

Back
Top Bottom