1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

orpington color off ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sierra pachie bars, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I at first thought it was maybe lavendar but now not so sure. Hubby said it is brown, perhaps a buff ? I know they are pure. I tried to get a photo, its body is also brownish but its head is darker. The rooster is black split to lavendar. The majority in the pen are black split as well. But I do have a buff in the pen until I can replace for the hen to roo ratio.
    [​IMG]

2. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Quote:its what you get when buff mixes with the other colors. still pure but the color does strange things. I have a couple buff x splash

3. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    I think it will be a cutie, but it is a mix. Buff and black splits are not meant to be together. You get a genetic jumble.

4. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I honestly dont care anything odd goes into my play chicken pen. whatever is for my breeding pens goes into their pen. The other chicks in photo are from my marans. I am waiting to see what else hatches from my orphington eggs. I have eggs hatching as we speak.

hoping to replace the buff hen in the pen soon. Regardless goes into my eating eggs pen or freezer camp.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  5. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Thats a good question! I put 7 BO eggs from my pure Buff in the bator and got one hatch late that is grey. I have been nuts over trying to figure it out. All I can think to do is put 14 in now. (Just to see of course)[​IMG]

6. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Quote:Its from the split roo and the buff hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by