1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Orpington colours ?!

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by obieandhisgirls, Jun 25, 2018.

1. obieandhisgirls

obieandhisgirls Chirping

May 17, 2018
    Somewhere in canada
    i have a lemon cuckoo Orpington roo and I was wondering what I would get if I hatched put him in with a lavender hen. What colour would I get?! I also have chocolate and chocolate cuckoo hens and a couple jubilee what would I get crossing them. I was just wondering?

BlackHackle likes this.

2. Aziara

Aziara Chirping

Jun 1, 2016
  3. lenadriver

lenadriver In the Brooder

Dec 11, 2014
    Australia
    Thank you. I'm struggling, too.

BlackHackle likes this.
  4. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner A hen is just an egg's way of making another egg. Premium Member

With the lavender, chocolate and chocolate cuckoo hens you will get black cuckoo with buff leakage in various amounts mostly on the front half of the birds.
    The lavender crossed offspring will carry lavender but it won't show.
    The chocolate and chocolate cuckoo crossed ones will produce cockerels that carry chocolate but pullets won't.
    If your rooster is double gene cuckoo all offspring will be cuckoo but cockerels from lavender and from chocolate will produce single gene cuckoo cockerels.
    From the chocolate barred hens cockerels will be double gene cuckoo.
    With the jubilee I'd expect the color to be in between the shade of the lemon and the shade of the jubilee. All will be cuckoo. Cockerels will be single gene cuckoo.
    They will carry mottling but it won't show except maybe a few random white specks.

Zinjifrah and ChickNanny13 like this.
  5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :bow You sound like you KNOW genetics :eek: I checked out the link mentioned by Aziara, will get back to it. A friend has a LO cockerel, I got 4BO pullets about 10wks which we're going to see what colors we get LO x BO = ? then ? x LO and ? x BO just for fun :pop

6. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner A hen is just an egg's way of making another egg. Premium Member

Ha
    I know a lot about a little, a little about a lot. And enough to know I'll never know enough.
    Lavender is easy and pretty straight forward. Plus just maybe my favorite color in chickens.
    Buff is beautiful but a pain in the @$$. It is actually a complicated color and doesn't play well with just about everything else.
    There's a lot of genes involved for such a simple looking color.

Zinjifrah likes this.
  7. HenniesInMyHeart

HenniesInMyHeart Songster

Mar 12, 2018
    Colorado

8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    We never ever know enough, life is forever learning :) Lavender is BEAUTIFUL color, my favorite. Saw a posting about LO x BO , the offspring coloring similar to that of a GLW. Don't think we have enough space to experiment with the colors. I love the Orpington breed, Buff is about all we get from the feed store. Unless ordered from a hatchery then pay the shipping which is $$$$$ to HI :( Thanks for your info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by