Orpington Crossing

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DeannaA, Feb 1, 2014.

1. DeannaA

DeannaA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2013
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I have Chocolate Rooster (don't know which kind of chocolate) and a Jubilee Rooster.
    I have a Red pullet, Gold Laced (Black Laced Buff) pullet, Lavender Pullet and Buff Pullet.

From what I have read, I think I understand somewhat. Please correct me where I am wrong.

A Chocolate Roo crossed with anything will have Chocolate hens- split to the mom's color. Black roosters- chocolate split or mom split.

I can't find anything I can understand on the Jubilee.

I understand how black, white, lavender, blue and splash work if any of these are simular to the Jubilee. I have had a hard time finding something that starts out simple enough for me to learn the basics before getting too complicated. Or there are many opinions and I don't know which are correct.

I am just breeding for myself and friends for pretty egg layers. I am not a breeder. I am not trying to creat anything new or recreate anything. If I were to sell extras, I would sell them as rainbow orpintons or something to let people know they are mixed colors. I enjoy learning new things. I love learning the genetics but just when I think I've got it I see another explination that doesn't fitwith what I learned.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions of where to find the information. Pictures of these crosses would be great too.

Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think you understand this stuff better than I do. Chocolate could come from the chocolate gene or it could come from a variation of dominant white. I think it is based on what would otherwise be a black bird, but that could be extended black or birchen with melanizers. So just by saying chocolate, you could have different ways to get there. Birchen with melanizers acts a lot like extended black. Birchen is second in strength to extended black. Let’s just say it is extended black to get something to work with.

That rooster’s extended black should trump anything the hen has to offer at that locus. Depending on which chocolate he has, you will probably get some black and some chocolate chicks. But that also depends on what the hen has to offer. If she has any dominant white, you will get solid white chicks. I don’t have a clue what would happen if she contributed blue. So yes a tendency to chocolate and/or black but there could be some variations and surprises.

I think the Jubilee could either be duckwing, partridge, or wheaten. Doesn’t narrow it down much. I think it is also penciled, mahogany, melanized, gold, and split for dominant white. There may be something else going on or maybe someone can get to Jubilee another way. I’m basing most of this on Henk’s chicken calculator.

Cross Calculator
    http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

That’s a mess. There are a lot of different things going on and none of them are especially strong. I think what you get will depend very much on what specific hen your Jubilee is crossed with.

3. DeannaA

Jul 8, 2013
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I love the chicken calculator. Most crosse say E or E*. Does anyone know what that means?

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Hover with your mouse over that footnote.
    If that doesn't work go to the actual chickencalculator with the hyperlink "to chicken calculator"

There is a bug in the page you were using. Gonna fix that soon.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  5. DeannaA

Jul 8, 2013
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Thanks, I love that calculator.

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Thank you, and it should be fixed now.

7. DeannaA

Jul 8, 2013
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Did you make that calculator? It's wonderful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by