1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orpington discussion/pictures!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Beth77, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Beth77

Beth77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2015
    Scotland
    I absolutely love Orpingtons! They have such a lovely, placid nature.

Share your photos and stories here.:)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Who doesn't love Orpingtons? I've currently got a Buff hen and a Lavender rooster who are both extremely docile, gentle, and wonderful with children. But since you asked for stories, I will tell about an amusing encounter with my handsome T.Roo, the adolescent Lav Orp. One day while in the coop, my mom and I were simply standing around, discussing our favorites out of the flock of 38. T.Roo got enough nerve to meander just a smidgen too close to us for comfort, so my mom stomped at him simply to discourage any potential aggression (he's at that unpredictable stage). Well, he really took her seriously and ran to the corner to hide his face like a scolded child. Despite my mom's repeated, "You can come out now. You're not in trouble.," he refused to come out and stayed there for a good minute or two! [​IMG] Now THAT'S a good rooster!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Alex

3. mcbrown7513

mcbrown7513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2015
    Southern Mississippi
    I have only one Lavender Orpington, a rooster. He is just coming into maturity. He is still extremely docile and fun. We have one large coop and one very small coop. Well, my Rhode Island Red rooster is very dominate. Therefore, I have been keeping Levi in the small run/coop to relieve his stress levels. He now has taken to spending a large amount of his time sitting on top of "his" coop, happy as all get out. His 2 biddies (a couple of Rhode Island Red pullets) will jump up and chill with him[​IMG]
    He doesn't like the phone.

1 person likes this.
  4. Alexandra33

Stunning boy, @mcbrown7513! [​IMG] Lav Orp roos are awesome.

-Alex

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  5. mcbrown7513

Sep 9, 2015
    Southern Mississippi
    Levi's tail feathers aren't as full as your boys though. [​IMG] But soon hopefully.

6. Alexandra33

That will come with time. [​IMG] How old is Levi? T.Roo's 5 months currently.

-Alex

7. mcbrown7513

Sep 9, 2015
    Southern Mississippi
    I was told that he was approximately two months old when I got him. That would make him around 7 months old now. He is bigger than my Rhode Island Red rooster (who is about 6 weeks older). Unfortunately Levi is the submissive roo.

8. Alexandra33

He's beautiful! Yeah, T.Roo isn't exactly dominant, either. Must be an Orpington thing. [​IMG]

-Alex

9. mcbrown7513

Sep 9, 2015
    Southern Mississippi
    Thank you. Levi is by far my favorite chicken. He runs to me to protect him from Strauss. He has learned to eat from my hand and if I am outside he has to keep me in sight. I have Orpington birds are just that way. [​IMG]Would not trade him for any other bird.

10. Alexandra33

How awesome that he means so much to you! I've honestly heard almost nothing but good about Orpington roosters. They actually have a pretty good reputation. My boy is really sweet, too, and for example, I can always wrap my arms (with some difficulty [​IMG]) around his huge lavender body for a bear hug before the birds' bedtime.
    [​IMG]
    -Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by