Orpington dominant?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shakenbake, Jun 22, 2011.

1. shakenbake

shakenbake Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Hello, I just got 4 little babies [​IMG] 1 australorp, 1 BR, and 2 BOs. All are supposed to be hens but my question is that one of my BOs is the most dominant one, is this normal? They're only about a week old but I still would've thought that the BR would be dominant? Does this mean that my BO is probably a rooster? (I hope so!) Also, even though my BO is dominant, my other BO is a bit of a runt but the dominant one defiantly takes care of it and treats it like a little sister or something, is this normal? Thanks [​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    All normal. While Orps have the reputation of being super laid back, not all are. I have nothing but Orps and my top hen has one she treats like a little sister lol. Which makes me happy because it's the one that got attacked as a chick and still limps on that leg from time to time. So it all depends on the chicken.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Perfectly normal. And it doesn't necessarily mean the aggressive orp is a roo. I have all Black Orpington girls and I have one girl that is pretty aggressive with the other hens. I was also surprised as I had heard that the orp breeds are usually pretty laid back. But every chicken has it's personality. Good luck with your babies! [​IMG]

4. shakenbake

shakenbake Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Thanks so much [​IMG] I've always had flighty or aggressive breeds, so for a change I thought I'd get Orps and was fairly surprised.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by