1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orpington dropped eggs under broody hen- what will happen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goose and Fig, May 1, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I made the mistake of trying to get 2 clutches going at the same time. My Black Australorp had been setting on several eggs in the brooder coop for almost a week. I put an orpington in with several other boxes to choose from. After 3 days I didn't find any eggs, and the Orp was really anxious, so I let her out. Now I find 3 more eggs under the Australorp. There is a good chance that most of the eggs are fertile. Will mom leave the newer eggs after she gets hers to hatch? Or should we take the chicks out so she continues brooding?

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    You gotta take those new eggs OUT. She will not keep setting on them after the first eggs hatch. She will not continue sitting on those eggs when the others hatch, even if you do take the chicks away. What would you do with the other chicks anyway? Keep them inside? they're better off with the hen.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    She may continue to sit if you take the babies out, or she may go balistic trying to find them, I have had hens go either way. Do you have a Incubator, because if these eggs have been sat on for 3 days they most likely have some veining occuring, so you either need to take your chances, dispose of the eggs, or have a backup plan ready in case she decides to search for her missing chicks if you try that method.

4. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    If I have to take the chicks- I'd wait until they started foraging like I did with the last clutch. We have a set-up in the house for new chicks. My last clutch hatched under a different Orp- but several days apart. The mom was struggling to get the babies back under her & set at the same time. I'd rather have the mom raise them.

Can't believe she was able to squeeze her fat butt in there and drop those eggs! We don't have an incubator- but I thought of ordering a small one for the ones that are late. Do eggs do ok if they are brooded by mom and then incubator?

Thanks!

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    The eggs have no Idea where the heat came from, just that it was provided so they could develope and hatch, they will never know the difference once they hatch.

6. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    *UPDATE*
    OK- so I got an incubator. 1 of the 6 remaining eggs hatched 2 days later- it was the Australorp's chick. 1 of the Orp's eggs was bad, and 2 have pipped- a week later! I wish I knew how to post pictures on here. Thanks for the advice!

7. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    OMG! the first of those 2 is out of the shell. She is BLACK! What the heck- she was supposed to be orange. Mama must have snuck a really really late one in there![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by