Orpington gender. Rooster or pullet

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by berettp, Nov 5, 2016.

1. berettp

berettp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    I have an eighteen wk Orpington that I'm still not sure what it is any help would be appreciated

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

A definite cockerel! He doesn't look pure Orp to me either, anyone else have thoughts on this?

3. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    2x

4. berettp

Jun 14, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    Thanks I've had my suspicions but I'm new to this I wanted pullets. I got four chicks two Barred and two alleged Orpingtons. I am one for three one pullet three cockerels.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 November....... my favorite month Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Gorgeous cockerel!

6. henny1129

I'm sorry you got 3 cockerels! :hugs It can be really unfortunate! :(

7. berettp

Jun 14, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    The first two have gone to a good home the third will join his friends. Feel bad about leaving one alone I hope she won't be traumatized.

8. henny1129

It's good that they have a nice home! :) I don't think she will be to traumatized, we've had to separate a chicken for quarantine for weeks before, and honestly, she didn't seem depressed. Of course, you don't want it to be a long term thing, so eventually I would get more chicken buddies for her. :)

9. berettp

Jun 14, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    Already working on. I just need to make sure they are pullets so I'm going to be looking for slightly older birds. No more chicks it was fun but hate giving them up. I should mention my town doesn't allow roosters. Although you can hear dogs, leaf blowers, lawn mowers the kid with the jacked up diesel pick up. That's ok not that I'm against those things just venting.

10. henny1129

Great! :) I believe that MyPetChicken has 6 week old pullets for sale, but I'm not sure how much you trust hatchery sexing. It seems many cities do not allow roosters, but I guess I understand. Though it seems a lawnmower/kids would make more noise. :idunno Living in the country and being allowed to have as many birds as wanted and being allowed to have roosters, I feel I would become deeply aggravated living in the city with "bird limits". :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by