Orpington Genetics

What colours could be used with silver laced Orpingtons to create more laced?

I hope I understand your question.

You can not just cross a silver laced with another variety and get lacing unless the other variety is single laced.

For example, you can not cross a silver laced and a buff to produce a buff laced- it does not work that way.

Each variety has a specific set of genes to make the chicken the variety. Some of the genes are dominant and others are recessive.

A blue chicken and a lavender chicken are genetically black chickens, the blue chicken carries the blue gene which dilutes the black to blue.Blue is dominant ( incompletely) because if you breed a blue to a black some of the offspring are blue and not black. If you breed a lavender to a black the offspring are black because lavender is recessive.

Lets say you want to produce a silver blue laced chicken. If you cross a silver laced roo with a blue hen some of the offspring will be blue and others will be black. No lacing will be in the offspring.

If you cross a silver laced hen with a lavender roo, the offspring will be black. No lacing in the offspring.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you. OK so I have silver laced hens and white and lavender hens. I'm wondering what colour Roo to get.

black roo x lavender hen = black F1 offspring back cross an F1 male to the lavender hen to produce more lavender plus some blacks

cross silver laced roo with silver laced hens to produce silver laced F1 offspring

white roo x white hen = white F1

black roo x white hen = black offspring but they will leak non-black in their plumage Back cross F1 male to white hen to produce more white, some black like the F1, and possible laced offspring

Back
Top Bottom