Orpington Growl

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by turtle1173, Jul 1, 2008.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Of my 10 chickens, our buff orpington is the friendliest. She is always the first one to come running when I open the gate (the New Hampshire Red is second). All the others come but they keep out of arms reach from me for some reason.

Well Fluffy (the orpington) has become a little more aloof with being petted lately. She still runs up like usual but doesn't let me pet her very much and lets my kids even less. She has also started making a growling noise. She's not mean or anything but it's like a low "Grrrrrrrr" sound. She'll come running up, walk around me, as I'm trying to pet her. As she's walking around, she's going "Grrrrrrr." It's all kind of funny to my family but I figure there must be a reason for it.

Any idea if this has meaning (I'm sure it does to her)? All the chickens are just over 12 weeks old.

Shane

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I am curious about this question. My daughters white leghorn roo does the same thing. It is funny, Im thinking it must be some kind of warning to who ever approaches. John

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Well, I have a roo that growls when he's curious/worried about some noise he heard. Like a "what was that?!"

And I have a Showgirl chick that purrs when you hold her because she's content.

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I swear chickens are like teenagers.... the closer they get to puberty, the meaner they get. Then all of a sudden, usually once they start to lay or right before, they become even sweeter than they were before. Don't worry, it is just those darn hormones causing temper tantrum. She'll be herself in no time!

5. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    my buff orp hen makes a kind of grrrrr-ing noise when she's happy. i call it purring. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Buff Orp Ginger makes that sound, too, most often when she's sitting on a nest.

7. TexasChickenLady

TexasChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Pampa, Texas
    Ok. Now I know my chickens aren't the only GROWL'N birds out there. I was sitting by the run the other day and was watching how wonderful my rooster was keeping an eye out for all the others, while they were busy seeing what I was doing. It was if he was looking way out there checking all 4 sides to see if there was any danger out there. So then some wild birds flew real low over the top of the run and roo made this low growling sound and that alerted the the girls to do the same. I was like wow "chicken sirens". They truly amaze me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by