Orpington heads

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by iajewel, Nov 14, 2008.

1. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    One of the things I love the most abotu the Orphs is that wonderful head, the large golden eyes and that bright red comb.
    I have noticed that this classic head veries a bit from variaty to variaty. I was hoping that people would want to brag a bit and show off thier Orphs with good classic heads.. Hopefully some of you that pay for a judges oppinion will also add comintary, as Im just getting back into the breed and ready to learn learn learn.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    PS.. if you have birds with the good skirting that would be nice to see too.. I have noticed again that some variaties are not as endowed as others in this dept also.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Ok, I'll play. Suede has eyes that are too light for the blue standard (should be dark brown, not golden brown), but he's produced at least one show-winning son already. Here is a headshot and a couple shots of his "petticoats".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. iajewel

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    What a georgous head shot on #1.. the hen behind him in #2 is pretty.
    I had to go back and look at the breed standard.. sure glad I posted this BEFORE I drag home birds.. You are right.. dark brown eyes..
    as for my spelling.. if years of collage couldn't teach me to spell.. Im betting Im unteachable [​IMG]

I hope more people post is this is how I learn.. looking at many many birds and getting other peoples input on them..
    Thank you for the wonderful pics of Suade.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks, that hen was my Velvet. I lost her a few weeks ago to a case of sour crop, sadly. She was very typey and quite a goofy girl. I miss her alot. I have Skye, but she is in an evil molt so no pics of her for awhile. Then I have two blue 18-week old pullets for Suede that I plan to add to his harem in a couple of weeks.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG]

I'll play the petticoat game......

[​IMG]

She is pure black but has nice a petticoat [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Pretty birds [​IMG]

8. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I WANT BLUES! I have Buffs right now but my camera just broke so I can't get you any pics:( I am really, really, really thinking about phasing out the Buffs from my flock and adding blues in their place. Blue is my most fave color. I have some Blue mutt chickens that I adore but they are smaller in size than Orps. So I guess I am saying I like the Orp. size and type but would prefer Blue over Buff.

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh Cyn....I will NEVER get tired of seeing that boy! WOW. What a handsom Guy he is!! [​IMG] One day...........I would like to have a few of his babies.....[​IMG]

10. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    These are young but you can see the nice dark eyes, will have great fluff and nice broad heads. I need to get an updated pic they really pretty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by