1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orpington hens or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kgerl, Apr 20, 2016.

1. kgerl

kgerl New Egg

Apr 20, 2016
    I just got these orpington mix buff/lavenders. They are about two weeks old and there are definitely two pairs. One pair having a good bit more wing, back and tail feathers, grey feet and more curious personalities. The lighter ones have almost no tail feathers, shorter wings, yellow legs, little back feathers and mild personalities. I've tried researching online but I'm getting conflicting thoughts. What do you guys think?

Light ones

[​IMG]
    Dark
    [​IMG]
    Light
    [​IMG]
    Dark
    [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are definitely a mix, I don't think they are pure Orpingtons. The roosters do feather out more slowly in Orpingtons.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I think some of them are Easter Eggers, they have puffy cheeks and I see at least one with slated colored legs.

4. kgerl

kgerl New Egg

Apr 20, 2016
    The mom was a buff orpington and the dad a lavender. She didn't have any other chickens.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Those are definitely not Buff/Lavender cross Orpingtons. That pairing should produce mostly black chicks. Those look more like Easter Egger chicks. And they are too young to sex yet.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by