*Orpington Leg Color Question!*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KKluckers, Dec 17, 2007.

1. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The toenails and soles of feet are supposed to be white and the shanks black or slate/blue. Suede has white soles as do Skye and Velvet. Wonder if they'll change a bit, but I sort of doubt it. Are these from mine or somewhere else or do you know which is which? Just re-read it and you mean adults, not the chicks, right? I'll get a picture of Suede's feet, I have one somewhere and will be back with it.
    ***Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    The pullet I have from you has white soles. I understand there are always throw backs and Im not upset with the quality of these birds. I think they meet standard in every other aspect. They are from a sandhill preservation line, but I do not know if there is anything else breed into them by the breeder. I think he has had the birds for 3+ years. I have 6 more chicks from him and going to look at those as well.

4. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:They are two months old. Two have yellow soles and the rest have white including yours.

5. speckledhen

Here are some points from an Orp standards site, mentioning yellow legs as a fault:
    Colour

The blue
    Male plumage: Hackles,saddle, wing bow, back and tail dark slate blue. Remainder medium slate blue, each feather to show lacing of darker shade as on back.

Female plumage: Medium slate blue, laced with darker shade all through, except head and neck, dark slate blue.

In both sexes : Beak black. Eyes black or very dark brown, black preferred. Comb, face, wattles and ear-lobes bright red. Legs and feet black or blue. Toe-nails white.

Weight
    Male: 4.55-6.35kg (10-14lb) when fully mature.
    Female: 3.40-4.80kg (7.5-10.5lb)

The black
    Male and female plumage: Black with a green sheen.

In both sexes: Beak, ect as in the blue. Soles of feet white.

Weight
    Male: 4.55kg (10lb)
    Female: 3.60kg (8lb)

The white
    Male and female plumage: Pure snow white.

In both sexes: Beak, legs, feet and skin white. Eyes, face, ear-lobes and wattles red.

Weight
    Male: 3.60-4.55kg (8-10lb)
    Female: 2.70-3.60kg (6-8lb)

Serious defects

Side spikes on comb. White in ear-lobes. Deathersor fluff on the shanks or feet. Long legs. Any deformity. Yellow skin or yellow on the shanks or feet of any variety. Any yellow or sappiness in the white.

I'm not sure how much it would take to breed that out myself. Maybe someone could help here.

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    The one and a half week old chicks due look Kinda yellow. I will wait till they are older to judge them again. I guess I will have to sell the older ones as pets. I think by two months, the color of their feet would be there to stay? [​IMG]

7. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I forgot to add the ones from Bamachickens line and Catalpa farms have all white soles and they are 3-4 weeks old. I have a blue roo and black hen from Julies [​IMG] they are so sweet.

8. speckledhen

Suede and Velvet come from Julie (BamaChicken), but Skye comes from Cox's birds. I'd give it a little time and see what their feet look like; could be they'll whiten up some. I'll have to go look at my two week old and my four week old to see what their feet look like, but I know all my adults have white soles.

9. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    If you could look that would help give me a idea. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Christina, both my two week old cockerel and my five week old pullet have white soles on their feet, just like their parents. If you need me to get you a picture, I'll be glad to. Just have to get my DH to be the "wrangler" and hold them, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by