Orpington Mutts - what gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MomMommyMamma, Nov 19, 2010.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Tuffoldhen was kind enough to share some "mutts" with us a few months ago. We've been able to figure out just about all of them, but the two black birds have got us stumped. At first we thought both were hens, then both roos, now I think one of each. One has a red comb and one has a black comb. They are 3 mo. old and quite large. They are the same size as our other birds that are 6 mo.
    What do you think??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And since I know that Tuffoldhen will be looking, the gray birds with the brown on their wings are both roos. They are the only ones with the brown on them. They seem to be getting more brown every day. We call them Ugly & Smugly though I'm not sure why. Maybe because I've learned not to ever name a roo anything endearing when you know it may be cooked one day. [​IMG] Here are a few more from the same hatch...

The one BLRW
    [​IMG]

The beautiful hens all look like this one...
    [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Wow, I think those blacks are really dark blues since they have what looks like lacing coming on them. Not sure on the gender of the first one, may be a pullet. This was when I put the BLRW rooster in the pen with some of the older bbs girls for awhile this past Spring. They all seem to have rose combs on them like the Wyandottes and not single combs like the Orps would have. He really mated alot of the Splash girls I see!

They are going to be pretty yard eye candy to look at colorwise!

3. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    The one with the black comb - that one is showing some brown in the hackles. Yes, I think they all have the same type of comb (they're tucked in for the night already). Interestingly, the black one w/ the larger wattles is the one I think is the pullet. It also has slightly (very slightly) more slender legs. And somebody crowed a feeble new-roo crow a few days ago. Have not heard it since but I'm curious who it was.

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I do agree that the blacks look like very dark blue birds. IMO they are roos. Are they all the same bird?

5. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:I'm fascinated by this "dark blue" thing. Tell me more! How can you tell??
    There are two black birds - one has a red comb and one a black comb. The first two pics are the same bird, the second two pics are the other. The rest are just for fun. [​IMG]

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Ok I see the difference in them now. I think they are both roos. The reason I think they are dark blues is just like Tuffoldhen said, if you look at their feathers it looks like they are all outlined. Almost like you put eye-liner on each feather. It is called lacing and as far as I know only the blues have this. I have a blue cochin roo who looks almost black. The great thing about blues is that you can get them almost black to very light almost like Lavender. Hope this helps.

7. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:OK - I do see the lacing now! I guess when I saw "lacing" I thought of my Golden Laced Wyandotte or my Barnevelder - those are very pronounced/obvious lacings for a newbie to see (like me lol!). Very interesting! So do you think the lacing will become more pronounced over time or stay about like it is? It'll be such a bummer if they're both roos. I can't keep any more right now. I would for a while though if I could get chicks from those two though! They are just huge and look like they will be nice and fluffy (which I love). The black birds are noticeably larger than the grays and the BLRW. Thanks for your input!

8. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I see now in looking at the pics again, the black birds don't have the fluffy "thighs" the gray ones do.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Since your mutts are out of BBS Orps/BLR Wyandotte I'm saying they are not black but dark blue with lacing. Yes as they get older the lacing will be much more pronounced. I just don't see any blacks in your group. Let them grow out alot more and you will see a big difference. The splash pullets are very pretty.

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    First two pics is definitely a roo, and pics 3 and 4 I'm not sure, but it looks rather roo-ish to me. How old is he?

They are all very pretty birds! I especially like the GLW in the background of pic 2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by