Orpington or Barred Rock × Game Breed Laying Green Eggs

ChikenGeek

Chirping
Jun 26, 2019
We have a hen we hatched this last spring from a buff orpington or plymouth barred rock hen crossed with a game rooster of unknown breed (he's a rescue). She just started laying and has layed 4 bluish green eggs. This is the only one hatched from our eggs that lays green eggs. The other one that hatched from the same batch either isn't laying yet or might be laying green, all the other eggs I've picked up are various shades of brown. I know the orpingtons and barred rocks lay brown. Are there any game breeds that would cross with them to result in a green egg layer?

Are you positive he's a game rooster? and you're positive the mom is either a pure orpington or a pure Plymouth yeah? do you have a photo of the rooster?

I know for sure the mom is pure orpington or plymouth. I bought them from TSC.

I don't have a picture of the roo, but this is identical to him except his comb isn't clipped.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210102-210445_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210102-210445_Google.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 34
I'm betting your rooster is an Easter Egger, or else a cross of Game and Easter Egger.

I'm using "Easter Egger" to mean any chicken that lays blue or green eggs but does not belong to a specific pure breed. Many hatcheries and stores sell Easter Eggers that come from various mixes of breeds, so they sometimes look very different from each other--but a fair number of the roosters are the same color as the one you show.

The rooster was rescued from a local gas station last year before the first sleet storm. I have no history on him. I can post a picture tomorrow. I had the green egg appear 4 days ago and I have some EE hens but they are only 4-5 months old and in another pen. The weather has been bad, so while they were separated I watched to see where the egg was laid.

You're POSTIVITE there's no way one of your easter eggers could have laid the egg?

No they weren't free ranging the last two days while the weather was bad. They are closed up in separate coops. Green egg was laid in one of the nests not in the EE coop.

We have a hen we hatched this last spring from a buff orpington or plymouth barred rock hen crossed with a game rooster of unknown breed (he's a rescue). She just started laying and has layed 4 bluish green eggs. This is the only one hatched from our eggs that lays green eggs. The other one that hatched from the same batch either isn't laying yet or might be laying green, all the other eggs I've picked up are various shades of brown. I know the orpingtons and barred rocks lay brown. Are there any game breeds that would cross with them to result in a green egg layer?
He looks like an orp but I’m no expert!

Here's the pictures I got of him today.

Attachments

• 20210103_123329.jpg
    20210103_123329.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20210103_123325.jpg
    20210103_123325.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 34

Back
Top Bottom