Orpington...or Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karmical, Nov 12, 2007.

1. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    Well...I ORDERED a Buff Orpington from the hatchery, but then I read on a thread here that sometimes they send you a Buff Rock instead and that you can tell by the color of their legs....white = Buff Orpington and yellow = Rock. I have a feeling that I'm just clinging to denial of what the answer is going to be, so here are three photos of my Buff (who is very sweet and I shouldn't even CARE which she is, right?[​IMG]....whadd'ya think...Orpington or Rock?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, yellow legs say Rock. Either that or a Buff Orp with another breed in its ancestry somewhere.

3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Humm, now that is interesting! Now, I am going to go out and check my hatchery Buff Orpington's legs... [​IMG]

4. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    So it wasn't just my imagination...her legs DO really look yellow, don't they?

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    She is PRETTY!!!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I say she is a rock. Call the hatchery and tell them you ordered buff orps instead you got buff rocks and you know this because your chickens have yellow legs. They will refund your money or give your acct a credit.

7. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I totally agree. It is a Buff Rock. Looks just like mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by