Orpington people - What color is this chick

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LilQtBear, Oct 23, 2011.

1. LilQtBear

LilQtBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    So I know its not a recognized/standard color But I have been searching like crazy and cant get a hint on this color.
    Oh and I know its a chick and will totally change but im excited now [​IMG] (first sets of babies hatched within last 7 days)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So for my Laying flock I let my Blue Orpington (english, good quality from poppy creek farm) Breed with a couple of Buff Orps (hatchery stock)
    I used the Genetics Calculator and it said babies could be, Khaki, Fawn/Dun, blue or black. and when I search this cross I found lots of brownish colored chickens with the buff... splotches/lacing(ish)
    This is what the other two babies from same breeding looked like and I had expected
    [​IMG]
    (one in back is acually cross with my Blue and EE)
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're technically not a recognized color, just a mix of incomplete colors and Wheaten x Black, making blue and black birds with lots of gold leakage/pencilling. The light one is either blue or blue AND dun with leakage.

3. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thank you...

Why is it the buff color doesn't mix well when bred to other colors? I noticed I orpingtons anyway...buff stay with buff but other colors can breed together. I know it doesn't creat a recognized color butt what is the technical reason with buff?

4. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Buff is similar in breeding to white. Different mixtures are used to create the buff color... like white(dom. White....Rec. White[can hide many colors]... or Silver based White) Sometimes breeding white on black can produce barring... which is hidden by the white. or you can have many colors hidden by Rec. White wich can pop out when the genetic combinations combine right. The buff can be based on differend diluters, with or without the addition of dun. Plus there could be white and or birchen hidden within the buff.
    At least this is the way i understand it.

Zach

5. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    I have a gorgeous hen that is buff that fades into a nice dark blue- she was a dark blue/black with brown head as chick. She was from a splash orp over a buff orp. I rehomed a cockeral that started out a light blue with tan head like yours from same cross. He was developing just like my hen, only he was a tan that faded into a very ligh blue(splash?) I am hoping to get another light one this spring! Enjoy- very pretty. FYI my roo is from english stock and my buff was my last little hatchery girl. The pullet I kept is really big and fluffy, so the good genetics really came through!

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, the reason Buff doesn't do well being crossed is that it carries so many genes and some breeds vary to others. Like mentioned, some have white (like Buff Leghorns) while others don't (like Ameraucanas) Some have a good chance for the dun gene (Ameraucanas) and others not as much (Orpingtons)

All are Wheaten based with mahogany, dilute, dark-brown, and columbian though. The rest varies.

7. Painer

Painer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    I'm glad I saw this post. I have two chicks hatched this week that came out an odd khaki"ish" color. The dad is a splash roo and the mom is a buff. I'll post pics tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies from the experienced folks.

8. LilQtBear

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    Yes thank you...very educational... I'm trying to get these genetics down...I just can't grasp it though.. thank you

9. Josie360

Josie360 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    I bought some eggs off of ebay this past spring that were sold as "lemon blue orpingtons". In reality, they were a cross between blue orpingtons and buff orpingtons. I hatched out 4 chicks...two were dilutes-khaki/dun? and an orangy peach color and two were blotchy orange/black colored. I still have one hen she is a beautiful khaki/dun? laced. Let me see if I can find pics to post....

10. Josie360

Josie360 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Central Texas
    As chicks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my hen earlier today:

[​IMG]

I think she is beautiful, but I'm not quite sure what to do with her breeding wise...I wish I could get some more of those eggs, even though they weren't what they were advertized as, the results were nice:)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by