Orpington "Project" The Golden Laced Boy Grew Up - New Pictures

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by corancher, Feb 22, 2009.

1. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    For those that have not seen my other post. I have been working on a Golden Laced, and Silver Laced Orpington Project. This project is in beginning stages and as such the pictures of the birds will have things about them that are not "standard" for the orpington breed. I only am posting so others that have interest can share my experience and make helpful suggestions.

This first picture is one of the recently hatched golden orpington chicks
    [​IMG]

This picture is of a different chick in the same hatch
    [​IMG]

And now with them together
    [​IMG]

As you can see they are quite different in coloration. The darker chick was from the dark project hen I posted pictures
    of earlier. The lighter chick is from a hen from the same original orpington/barnevelder cross but colored light brown with no lacing. You can see the darker chick has the slate colored legs and the other has yellow. Both hens are in with Buff Orpington Rooster which is the father of chicks.

The following pictures are of my "I don't know how I got these silver colored orpingtons"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put these birds into their breeding pen yesterday. I added the two black orpington hens today. The rooster has a pretty weird comb and is kind of light weight but he is still only about 8 months. I will keep you posted. He got two of my nicest black orpington hens so I hope that will improve his faults.

Now these pictures are more for Miss Prissy. This rooster is from my cross of blue orpington and buff orpington. He is still in rooster pen and recently got in fight so he a little beat up. I just could not bring myself to cull him but still not sure what I am going to do with him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UPDATE INFORMATION:

Here's the new pictures of the Golden Laced Rooster and his first chick. If the colors and lacing hold true in the chicks, we may start offering some next year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Silver Laced project is going very slowly as the hens are not great layers although we do have a few chicks growing out.

The rooster with the Lemon Blue coloration has been put in a breeding pen with two lovely Blue Orpington hens and four Buff Orpington hens and we are just starting to hatch those chicks. We are hoping his colors will show up in the chicks. We are calling these our Lemon Blue Orpington project.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Wow, he's really cool! He's pure Orpington (no other breeds were used yet during the project?)?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is very odd. A buff splash?

4. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    cute chicks

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    He's gorgeous! I love that coloring he has... glad you didn;t cull him... you can send me some of his babies [​IMG]

Do you have a closeup pic of her feathering pattern?? Looks very interesting from here [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Very cool looking colors! I'd like to see a closer pic of the hen's chest too. Also the "silver" roosters chest. Does he show lacing yet? I love this project and can't wait to see those chicks grown.

7. corancher

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I will see if I can get a few close up pictures that show the silver coloration.

Chicken Lady - Wasn't sure if you were asking about the blue/buff rooster or the others. Anyway the blue/buff rooster is full orpington. The golden project is barnevelder/orpingtons.

I really don't know how I got the silver looking ones. I don't have any silver laced birds that could have crossed with the orpingtons and the orpingtons were in separate breeding pens. They were hatched in my orpington hatches and as chicks I thought they were black orpington chicks. The silver did not start showing until they were a few weeks old.

I am thinking of putting the buff/blue rooster with a couple of blue hens to see what I get.

Thanks everyone for looking and your input.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What are you thinking about for hens? Black?

9. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have though that Buff/Blue affectionately I call it Blue & Gold, are the most amazing looking chickens. I have been anxiously awaiting this season for my own barnyard selection of blue & golds. I think your guy is beautiful and I can only hope to get some good mixes this year outta my blue & buffs. It's one of my projects this year, the easier one. I understand so far there is no way to predict the influence of the blue or buff in feather pattern, but thats what I like... it's like they are painted with the blue... awesome. I hope to have slate leggs on mine too...

Don't cull him, in my eyes he's AMAZING! [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  10. corancher

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    bodyflight

You are so right about the color of the buff/blue. These projects are very exciting because you just don't know what you will get. They also are quite a lot of work with the tracking and separating.

Miss Prissy

Are you referring to the buff/blue rooster or the silver project? I though I would put the buff/blue with blue. I put two black hens with the silver to see if the silver carries to the offspring. Do you think I should think about putting black with the buff/blue? If so what is your thinking on this?

Thanks everyone for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by