Orpington Pullet Keeps Closing Eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lisasea, Dec 20, 2016.

1. lisasea

lisasea New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    Hi all - Thanks in advance for your help.

I have an orpington who seems to want to close her eyes a lot. Not sure what's going on. Here are the details:
    --She's about 9 weeks old
    --Going through a juvenile molt
    --Also seems to blink really hard, like her eyelids are heavy
    --Happening for nearly a week
    --Not getting picked on by the other chickens
    --Eating, drinking, pooping just fine
    --Naps more than the other two, but perks up when it's time to play
    --Still living inside until the coop is done, it's pretty warm in there because I have the heat lamp from another brooder not too far away
    --I have two other pullets, and none of them do this
    --Hasn't come into contact with new chickens
    --I take them all outside for a few hours every day (can't wait for the coop to be done!), we're in California, so no cold temps here

Here's a video of a time when she was particularly "sleepy" but awake. You can see she perks up for the mealworm, then her eyes (particularly the left one) get heavy and she closes them.
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That doesn't seem normal to me. She may have a neurological problem or some internal abnormality making her a little tired. One thing I might try, just in case it is a contributing factor, is treating her with Corid for Coccidiosis. Otherwise, I don't think there is much you can do about it right now. Just offer her the best care possible and look out for any further signs of illness.

Good luck!

3. lisasea

lisasea New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    Thank you! She's also been preening a lot more than the other chickens. Maybe I'm mistaking the molt for mites or lice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by