Orpington...Pullet or Cockerel??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RedReiner, Jun 16, 2011.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    around 12 to 14 weeks old. I thought it was a cockerel but now I am not so sure. it bites my legs when I have food squawking at me. if its a pullet it has a pass...if its a cockerel its going to someones dinner party
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    At that age and with that small pink comb, I would say Pullet....pullet who is a hog for treats!

3. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Its definitely a pullet!!! I have 2 pullets that are about 16 weeks and look just like yours!!

4. ginnyj

ginnyj Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Central Florida
    So if I have a 7 week old buff orpington "pullet" getting a noticeable comb and wattles...would that mean rooster???

5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Pullet. Mine looks exactly the same.

6. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    thank you, she was much nicer today, she spent the last two nights in a crate by herself for biting my legs . I almost took her the feed store and put her in the rooster pen... bite me...

7. HoP

HoP Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland
    OK I am going to try this thread..

I have a Buff Orpington, who is about 11 weeks old. I am assuming she is a she, but..I always look at her legs, make sure there is no mite or something odd..well today I noticed two white spots on each leg..same height, same shape...
    Now please excuse me because I don't know a lot about chickens, (these are my first), are Rooster born with those spurs or do they develop over time?
    I know my Buff is the bossiest and she is especially aggressive to my white Silkie (who I am thinking is not a she,only time will tell). I was told the Buff and EE chicks I bought were sexed, but those white spots are now making me seriously think she is not a hen...She has a big comb and wattles.
    Any ideas????
    Now I am nervous..I can't keep Roo's[​IMG]

8. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Quote:is it the one in your avatar? thats a cockerel ...

9. HoP

HoP Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland
    Quote:is it the one in your avatar? thats a cockerel ...

ahh yesss...*sniff* really??
    Here is a photo of her yesterday...her..haha errr
    [​IMG]

10. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Very beautiful pullet you have there [​IMG]

As for the biting, mine sometimes peck at me if they are impatient too. What you can do (because they don't really understand the concept of a time-out) is use your finger like a beak and peck her right back until she backs away. Not too hard, but similar to what a dominant hen would do. Mine got the message very quickly that I didn't want them pecking me, and she'll respond better if you're speaking her language [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by