Orpington pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PirateGirl, Apr 29, 2017.

1. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    My first chickens. All different breeds so I can't really compare them to each other. All about 8 weeks. The Orpington has a distinct comb forming, but it's pretty light in color. My town does not allow roos and I'd rather know sooner than later because I'm already getting attached to them. The farmer will take it back and give me a pullet if need be. Pics were harder to get than I expected as she (?) clearly doesn't know how to be still.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    I guess I couldn't attach more than one pic at a time[​IMG]

3. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    [​IMG]

4. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    doesn't scream cockerel - in fact doesn't even look the right color of a buff orp. Should be looking golden by this age not white.

6. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    @drumstick diva they bred for various colors of orpingtons on the farm, I also had a lavender that didn't make it, they looked identical aside from the color, so she may not be a buff, but I'm fairly sure she is still an Orpington, and hoping she is a she since she is now my only Orpington.

7. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I think you are pretty safe. Here's our Fairy Floss (we raised her for my Mum) at 8 weeks old with a boy for comparison. Ours were quick to develop though - our boys (who went back to the breeder) sprouted wattles at 3 weeks and I had one start crowing at 5 weeks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    @JaeG Thank you! That picture is perfect. Mine looks exactly like yours and she really didn't have much of a comb to speak of at all until this past week and doesn't have visible wattles. She's just the first of my pullets to start growing a comb, but as I said, they are all different breeds. Your Fairy Floss is super light colored too; do they darken up as they get older or will I always have a light Orpington? I feel better now. I'm growing attached and don't want to bring any back to the breeder.

9. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    She's a white Orpington, though her legs are dark grey (show quality they should be flesh coloured I think). She's quite the character and very friendly.

10. PirateGirl

Mar 11, 2017
    hmm... maybe mine is just white and not buff too then because I'd say she's got all adult feathers now and isn't any darker, she'll be fluffy and do well in the cold either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by