1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orpington question?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peeps298, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Peeps298

Peeps298 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I am just starting my new flock with 4 white leghorns, main reason being they are good egg layers and there are 6 month old hens local for me to pick up at a good price. I would like to find a couple of Orpington hens to add to the flock. My question is, do these two breeds mesh ok? i have read orpingtons are very laid back and make wonderful chickens for the home flock. Any opinions out there on the Orpington or any other of your favorite breeds?

Ed

2. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I have 3 Buff Orp hens and they are great. One constantly "talks" to me and always walks around with me to see what I am doing...they are definitely a favorite of mine. Very laid back not skittish and enjoy being held.

3. Peeps298

Peeps298 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:Great to know thank you. Now to see if i can find them, [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have a leghorn and 3 buffs, among other breeds. They do fine together. At one time I had several of both breeds. and they still did fine together. Expect the smaller leghorns to be in charge of the big laid-back orps, tho.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  5. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    I have one Buff Orpington. She is the lowest in the pecking order in the flock of the older birds I have. Kind of skittish, but the only egg song singer. [​IMG] Overall a very sweet girl. Her name is Linda. [​IMG]

6. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    i love my buff orps. every day when i go out to gather eggs, one of them jumps up into the coop to supervise me. and now that their eggs are full size, they are HUGE!

7. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I have one Orpington in my flock of 8 (the rest are Marans and 2 BRs). She's my alpha hen and actually keeps my Marans roo in line... Pretty hilarious to watch! [​IMG] Once in awhile he tries to put his rooster moves on her and she immediately shuts him down. I'm pretty sure she is the reason he hasn't started to crow yet... She has him questioning his gender or something! LOL

Even being the alpha she gets along well with the others. She grew up with BRs and the three of them love eachother. The Marans are the new additions and she keeps them in line but never gets mean with them. She established herself as the boss as soon as I introduced them and now she just has to walk up to them to chase them off when she wants food or when they're cramping her space.

She's a mellow girl and is very friendly, but is surprisingly not as cuddly as my BRs. She likes to be pet and runs over to me for treats but doesn't really love being picked up like they do. The best part about her is that she is a laying machine! She takes a day off maaaaaybe once every two weeks and lays beautiful, big light brown eggs.

I would definitely recommend adding some Orpingtons to your flock. They're a really nice breed and they have the cutest, fluffiest chicken butts you've ever seen!

8. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    After a dog attack, our BO was the first to start to lay again and to be not scared of us. The little Cochin Bantams were not as willing to be a part of the group for a few days. The EE has been the most skidish.
    "Buffy" is back wanting to be pet and is vocalizing much more. Looking forward to watching them include new hens or pullets.

9. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I have a BO in my flock- her name is Ethel and she's a lap chicken. She gets along well with all the other breeds and doesn't take any guff. I don't know about leghorns, supposedly the two "packing peanut" males I kept look a lot like leghorn roosters but none of my girls are.

10. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have 4 Orps and 4 Easter Eggers. They're all friendly, but the Easter Eggers are the friendliest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by