1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orpington question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThiefPouter06, Sep 4, 2008.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Howdy. I recently got a small flock of chickens and I had a few questions. Does anyone have any idea what a buff orpington roo/silver laced wyandotte would look like? buff with black speckled hackles and saddle?And if you crossed a buff orp onto a barred rock hen would they be sex linked? This is based on the assumtion that buff is genetically similar to red.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] Hey there. Hopefully you will get someone to answer that who is more schooled in genetics than I am. Good luck. For some reason I am thinking silver is dominant over gold, but I don't know why.

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello and [​IMG] !

Both of the crosses you mentioned would be sex linked, although I've never seen a confirmed pic of a Buff Orp/SLW. On feathersite it says that particular cross is called a Cinnamon Queen, but who knows who sells that cross under that name.

My Buff Orp x Barred Rock's were definately sex linked!

Nekoda (female):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leif (male):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope you have a great hatch and post lots of pictures! [​IMG]

4. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Beautiful! I tell you I think I saw your rooster on the way home today from Summersville today lol.

5. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Ella what a pretty pair of chickens. Very stately ROoster!

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

matt y. :

Beautiful! I tell you I think I saw your rooster on the way home today from Summersville today lol.

Well I WAS gone all day yesterday and he is very smart, but I'm in Minnesota so.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by