1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orpington questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mustangsaguaro, Jul 25, 2011.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    A few years back I hatched 2 buff orpingtons a male and female. I gave the male away and regret it but he has a nice home. The female died about 2 yrs ago as she become egg bound and I was unable to save her. From what I remember they seem like a very nice docile friendly breed. My question though are orpingtons a breed known for going broody? I never recall my female going broody on me. I'm looking to get a dual purpose breed good for meat as well as egg laying capabilites. Would you say orpingtons are a good dual purpose bird. Or is there a better breed for this? If there is a better breed for this what breed would that be?

Thanks

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have buf orpingtons,and the reason for getting them was they were suppose to go broody,I have 12 and none have gone broody.They are good egg layers not great but good and I would think they would be good for eating,have not ate one yet.

3. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    If you are only referring to Buff's then my experience has been that they tend to go broody. I currently have 2 that are broody and have been for about 2 months. I have also had Blue Orpingtons and think that I only had one go broody for a few weeks. The Blues also seem to be a beefier stock and do not lay quite as well as the Buffs, production could probably be pushed up with breeding. The Buffs also seem a little more wanting of attention as they fight for your lap, the blues don't come to you but are ok with being held after picking them up. Don't know what to tell you for a better breed as the Orps have fit us for eggs and friendliness.

Good Luck,
    Bill

4. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    What type Buff Orpington did you have that would not go broody?

There are several types. Hatchery types have been kept for production of hatchery eggs for so many generations that the instinct to go broody has been greatly reduced. Some exhibition lines have also seered clear of broodies. Thus few will produce hens that will go broody. Some hatchery and exhibition lines will see a clutch of eggs and start clucking! They are just wired to be broody. Climate and enviroment also have some effect on broodiness. We have a sole Black Cochin Bantam that will hatch anything. Last year it was Muscovy Ducks. This year White Orpington large fowl.

With over 30 years of having Orpingtons, I have found them to be excellent broodies. Yet not all have went broody. Even hatchmates have been different.

If you want a hen to go broody, you may try encouraging her with a clutch of nest eggs or store eggs. After she is broody you can switch eggs.

If what you want is a duel purpose breed, the Orpington would be perfect. Try acquiring from an exhibition type line. Theirs will be closer to the Standard and have more fullness and size. Hatchery stock will tend to be a bit under standard weight and more nervous, thus less broody. I would be happy to provide you a list of Orpington breeders. The American Orpington Poultry Fanciers has several excellent Buff Orpington Breeders. Just send me an email and I'll email you the list.

5. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:The BO I had a few years ago I obtained her from an egg trade. So not sure if the parents were originally hatchery chicks or not.

I didn't plan on getting Orpingtons from hatcheries. I prefer to hatch the eggs myself as I know hatchery chicks are not the greatest of quality.

So if you know of any breeders in Ca. Specifically the San Jose Bay area I'd greatly appreciate it. But would be willing to travel an hour away from where I live to pick up fertile eggs for those that do sell them If they have a website even better. I really like the Lavender color so if you know anyone that has good Lavender stock in my area great. I went to feathersite.com and saw the Silver Laced one on there. Not sure anyone in the US here that sells those but definately interested in that color as well.

BTW, looking for the LF Orps not banties

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  6. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So if you know of any breeders in Ca. Specifically the San Jose Bay area I'd greatly appreciate it. But would be willing to travel an hour away from where I live to pick up fertile eggs for those that do sell them If they have a website even better.

I do not know if she still is selling LF Buffs. But Heather has some of the best I know in CA. She would be my first call.

Heather Vermazen:

[email protected]

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I had six BO's I got from a breeder in Ft. Meryers and none of them ever went broody. I still have one she is a year and a half old, nope never broody. The two I had that did, are you sitting down, were a Leghorn and at present a Black Star. Go figure. [​IMG]

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've always had Buffs go broody, even after just laying for a month!

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have a quad of blacks, but they were just broody and some have not completely decided to come off the nest yet. They are from Bama Chicken. Nice birds. Large Fowl, non hatchery. 75% English Import blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by