1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orpington Roo with swollen toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coupe, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I noticed that my young Roo was limping this morrning. I see he has a swollen toe. Im not sure if its bumble foot or an infection. I will post pics in acoue mins for you.
    Thanks

2. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Im pretty sure its frostbite now..here are some pics..please let me know what to do for him!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ChiChiLady

ChiChiLady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Burlington VT
    What is the ground cover like in your coop? Dry? does he have a dry place to retreat to? do you have multiple roosters? are other birds preventing him from roosting? Are your roost made of wood or material that will not freeze easily?

For now fallow protocols used for when people get frost bite, let him stand in the sink or bath tub filled with a few inches of luke warm water and Epsom salts no need to get his feathers wet. give him a little extra protein to help speed healing (canned tuna or sardines). The birds especially love this in the winter when the bugs are gone. Make sure he had access to water to drink. and last hope that someone with more experience than myself will reply to your thread!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  4. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    The coop is floor is covered in hay and the roosts are wood.Aswell as most of the run floor. I didnt have him in with the rest of my chicken, he was in the grow out pen with 3 young hens. None of them used the roost, they always slept in the corner of the coop. The roost might be to high for them to fly up to.
    I have him inside now with me. I did soak his feet, which he loved!
    The other chickens feet look fine but i will be keeping an eye on them. Iv never had a problem with frostbite before! He is a very friendly roo and i feel so bad now :(

5. ChiChiLady

Aug 10, 2012
    Burlington VT
    The pictures you have look like the feet of our cornish crosses we raised last summer. but they were in a night coop with just a hard clothe floor. It was very hard on their feet. I was raising these birds with my neighbors so they had already build equipment. As for my own birds I avoid hard clothe for any kind of flooring. I do provide a lower bar for younger birds to access the roost. I find most will roost if given the chance and I worry less about them at night if I know they can roost. (safer from preditors and rats, safer from the cold on the ground). Also there body can kind of cover their feet up a bit at night if they are on a roost.
    I'm glad he enjoyed his bath! I am sure he will heal up fine with a little TLC, it looks like you caught it early before any serious damage done.

6. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I am going to lower the roost down for them.
    I let them out the other day, could he have got it from walking around the yard ? The grounds covered in snow.

7. ChiChiLady

Aug 10, 2012
    Burlington VT
    He should usually go back into the coop if he was getting too cold. Was the door to the coop closed when they were out side? Are some of the other birds picking on him a bit that he doesn't have easy access to his coop? sometimes poop can stick to there feet a bit, but I find as long as I am pretty regular about putting down clean bedding when it starts to get too poopy then there feet stay pretty clean and dry.

8. ChiChiLady

Aug 10, 2012
    Burlington VT
    I have a staggard roosting spots a 1 1/2 foot bar a 3ft bar and a 4ft bar. at night they all like to be on the top bar. but during the day they hop about all of them. the birds are between 10 months to 7 mo old. You could just get some scrap wood and add a lower bar, so they have a step up. Its fun to watch them hop about on the different levels.

9. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    The door was open to the coop..theu could go in and out freely. I dont let my younger birds mix with the adults because i dont want them getting picked on. he did have poo on his feet when i brought him inside. ill just have to keep and eye on the other chickens..and make sure the bedding is nice and deep for them. ill keep you updated on how hes doing.
    Thanks so much, youve been a great help!

10. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Does anyone else think its frostbite?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by