Orpington Rooster ignoring Orpington Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ichoudhury, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ichoudhury

ichoudhury Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Stone Mountain
    I have a beautiful Chocolate Cuckoo Orpington Rooster who leads his flock of 6 hen (2 out of those 6 hen are Orpington). But for some reason, Nigel seems to ignore the two Orpington Hen and mingles with other ladies, and I can't figure out how to encourage him to be interested in the Orpington Hen (I want to try hatching some orpington babies and may get lucky and get some that looks like him). My Hen are lavender and Blue. But Nigel (Rooster) has a favorite hen (Black French Maran) and to my dismay he 90% of the time fertilizing her eggs. In one rare occasion I saw that he successfully mated with one of the Orpington but no more since!

I sure would love some suggestion on how I can encourage him to choose the orpington (without doing anything drastic with the Black Maran :( .. I like her to stay ... very docile hen and a great egg layer) .

- I tried letting him and one of the Orpington Hen out of the 'Run' but it ends up where Orpington Hen browsing around on her own while Nigel is hanging near the Run

-I tried letting all out but Nigel and one of the Orp Hen, and both pretty much whole time relentlessly attempt to get out ...

-I let them all roam in the backyard (where Nigel is most active) and kept the Maran inside, he still didn't go for the Orpington Rooster
    -I've been checking her eggs, and don't think they are fertilized while pretty much all of the Maran's eggs are ...

Here is a pic of the two lovers (not a great one, but at the moment, I found this one quickly)

[​IMG]

2. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    I find that my roo cycles through his favorite girls, and just because you don't see him doesn't mean he is not doing his job with the ladies. Just about Every egg I've ever set from any hen has been fertile! And he has 13 gals! Don't stress.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Ditto what didolan said.

Plus, chicken sex is VERY fast. Blink and you might miss it.

4. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    My roo has his favs, 1 is absolutely worthless, but he likes her. He also watches for a hen to come out of the coop after laying and runs to her. When I had 2 Roo's they would run from group of hens to group of hens trying to get an advantage over the other roo.
    Have you looked at the yolk for the bulls eye target?

5. ichoudhury

Jan 3, 2011
    Stone Mountain
    So I have been watching over the Orpington Hen's egg, but I do not think they are fertilized so far. In fact, I'm hopping when things settle down from weather perspective, I may try letting him hang with her while keep his favorite girl away for a small duration. Thanks for all the feedback so far. I just hope, come Spring, he can fertilize at least some eggs for the Orpington Hen, so i can try to hatch. I am keeping my finger cross to see if a female like him come out of that .. (even though I don't have a Chocolate Hen :( ... Nigel look identical to his dad while his mother was a solid Chocolate Orpington (suppose to be Bantam but he is nearly .. if not same size as my LF Black Orpington I had about year or so ago.

6. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    IF he sees you take his hen the fight is on! I tried to separate an old lady (worthless old bitty about 5+ YO) yesterday but he (Big Red) seen me get her. He was thinking about defending her. I went ahead and removed her and he followed me around the yard crowing at me until I returned her! "She's MINE give her back!"

7. ichoudhury

Jan 3, 2011
    Stone Mountain
    LOL ... that is just too funny!

Nigel come running to me when I'm out and follows me very close as if he's keeping an eye on me. Yep, I can picture that experience!

Here's him giving me the look (in the background, Orpington Hen in the left of Nigel and the Black Maran to the right!

[​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Thats a perfect shot to capture his expression!

My dominant rooster, Carl, always comes to check on me when I come out of the house. When I stand around just watching the flock members, no matter where I pause, Carl will meander over to keep an eye on me. He continues to try to bring me little gifts I might like and will make the "tid-bit for you, my pretty" calls. Wish I could accept them, but I'm not gonna let him think I'm one of his hens.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How are you telling if the eggs are fertile?

10. ichoudhury

Jan 3, 2011
    Stone Mountain
    I would observe that on the yolk. I've looked up images where people took closeups of eggs that are fertile, so I can tell the difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by