Orpington Rooster picking feathers

grammaC

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2011
SE Minnesota
My 9 month old Orpington rooster is picking the feathers out of his own cape (neck) in the front. Once in a while I'll see a hen peck at him, but not regularly.

There are only five birds (4 hens, 1 roo) in the coop which is kept heated to about 40 degrees during our sub-zero weather. It's about 20X25 feet. I'm hanging cabbage, they have a chicken block, I give them mealworms, grit and oyster shell. The hens are laying - I get about 2 eggs a day. He's obviously not going broody, so why is he suddenly doing this?

Ideas?

He could possibly have mites. I would buy some Sevin's Powder and sprinkle it on all the chickens. You can buy the powder at usually any hardware store or somewhere that sells insecticides. This will kill the mites. Chickens can also get a bad habit of pulling out their feathers. I'm not sure why.

Last edited:
I have two Black Orpington chicks a few weeks old and one has begun picking herself bald on the same spot on shoulder. I have read most of the thoughts and suggestions but there seem to be no "sure fire" cures. She is with 7 other chicks of mixed breeds and they all seem to get along well and no persistent picking on each other. I have begun "socializing" each of them in turn (holding, petting,talking to) and I will give her special attention and see if there is any change; if so I will report it.

I am getting them all ready for transfer to the outside coop and run ASAP. I love watching them in the house and hearing them chirp but -as someone else suggested -it is nice to have them moving on too. I feel about the same way as when my children went off to college. I sure missed them but then again.......

Back
Top Bottom