Orpington vs. Wyondotte chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MontanaMomma, Mar 3, 2012.

1. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    I have one of each and the Orpington seems not as active, a bit weaker and shorter than the Wyondotte. They are about a week old now. Should I be worried or should I expect a bit of a difference among different breeds? I have started feeding yogurt and peanut butter to up the protein.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I personally stick to chick starter for the first 3 weeks. It's designed with everything, including the extra protein, chicks need. If you like there are vitamin mixes you can put in their water for energy boost.

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    At one week I think it would be too early to tell and probably not much you can do anyway. I just feed chick starter. I'm not sure I buy into the various home remedies. Chicks are chicks and some are stronger/healthier than others.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Agree, at that age stay with chick starter. At that age your Orpington and Wyandotte should be pretty close in size usually the Orpingtons will be bigger. They both should be just as active. It is really hard to say why some thrive and some slowly go down.

5. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Thanks for the input. Yesterday I gave them a teaspoon of yogurt, then this morning a little glob of peanut butter. I'll hold off on that for a few weeks. They sure did like it though! I hope the Orpington catches up.

6. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    In my experience orps do just fine over time. They will look quite fluffy, and play in the rain, regardless of what my chicken book says.

7. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    You can't tell at that age. All my chicks were the same size except one, a americanna, she was much larger than the rest...hence the name BUBBA. But she turned out the be the smallest of all.
    My Orpingtons and Wyandottes are about the same size now at 11 months. A little scrambled egg once in a while provides good nutrition. Mine get it at least once a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by