Orpingtons. Disqualifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have showed Orpingtons, and the first thing I learned is that there are "show-quality" Orpingtons and "production-quality" Orpingtons.
As you might guess, show quality Orpingtons meet all the requirements in the standards book, including size. Size is the main difference, as far as I can tell.
Production Orpingtons tend to be somewhat smaller, and the breeding emphasis is on production, mostly of eggs. Very difficult for a production Orpington to win best of breed, unless there are no show Orpingtons in the show, in my experience.
I will go look for my standards book and see what else they have to say.

I have showed Orpingtons, and the first thing I learned is that there are "show-quality" Orpingtons and "production-quality" Orpingtons.
As you might guess, show quality Orpingtons meet all the requirements in the standards book, including size. Size is the main difference, as far as I can tell.
Production Orpingtons tend to be somewhat smaller, and the breeding emphasis is on production, mostly of eggs. Very difficult for a production Orpington to win best of breed, unless there are no show Orpingtons in the show, in my experience.
I will go look for my standards book and see what else they have to say.
Thank you!
I'm really wanting to get some proper English Orps.
Mine lay pretty well, when they aren't broody, but laying is not the priority.

I have a production orp, and I'm hoping she continues to plump up. I do so love watching roley-poley birds dart across the yard!

Your boy is looking like a good chunk, 9/10!

I got most of mine from random people online. So I wouldn't expect them to be very good quality.
But I'm pretty happy with them.
The girls are fairly plump, but they don't do it like the boys do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom