Orpingtons or buff Plymouth rock

Esmeralda

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 16, 2013

I know Orps usually have white/pink legs but what else differentiates them from buff Plymouth Rocks?

Orpingtons, at least show quality birds, will be deeper and fluffier than Buff Plymouth Rocks. Plymouth Rocks tend to have a longer body, more of a rectangluar shape.

I didn't know there was a buff Rock, but the Orpingtons have a somewhat short looking neck and smaller heads, whereas Rocks have larger bodies with big necks. I think the Orpington body style is the most attractive, as is their temperment.

My Rock laid superb eggs just like my Red. Orpingtons' eggs are on the small side and lighter colored, still I prefer Orpingtons.

Last edited:
Does the hen in the picture look more like an Orpington than a Plymouth Rock?

This was a prize winning buff Plymouth Rock, which is why I am now wondering wether my hen is really a orp????

Also, asides from the small head, the hen in the first picture has white legs. Rocks have yellow legs.

The hen in the second picture looks very much like a BO, especially since it is so fluffy. It's neck does look a bit long though. Can't really see it's legs. Again, I never knew there was such thing as a Buff Rock before you mentioned it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom