Orpingtons or ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by flytpm, May 1, 2009.

1. flytpm

flytpm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Cookeville,TN
    Where can I get some older chicks in middle Tn? I'm not set up for lil chicks. I want a tame and gentle breed, not Bantams, that don't cost a lot. Considering orpingtons or sussexs but don't know how expensive they are. Just need about 4-5 hens for eggs. Thanks for your help.

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

i just LOVE my orps

so docile and sweet. I got them first and a couple weeks later some marans and a mixed breed. I was concerned the orps would get picked on since they are so docile but maybe since they were older than the rest they have the upper beak.

3. flytpm

flytpm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Cookeville,TN
    I just saw some black Austalorps and believe those are what I want. Are they hard to find? You guys have been so helpful with my bantams and coop questions and i really appreciate it. Can't believe I'm selling my guns to build chicken coop and buy more chickens. Guess I'm addicted.

4. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah, definately. hahah a guy from tennessee selling his guns??????[​IMG]
    although you must have a lesser form of addiction...since you haven't done chicks yet!!!! hahahaha. I am only partly addicted as well. I have had chicks but havent hatched yet!! I think thats when it gets seriously addictive!! lol.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  5. cugo18

cugo18 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    devers
    Yeap it does get seriously addictive once eggs to be hatched are involed it is fun to wait ad see what comes out, but also sad and upsetting when you find out that they have also died inside the egg before the could come out and enjoy life. Good luck to you. I know I am having the time of my life waiting for the to come out on my second set of eggs to hatch. And when the babis get here it is such a great feeling to have little ones around.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    You might want to check the TN threads here on BYC. There are many of us on here and many breed. There is a TN trader thread also.

7. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    If you can send a pm to poultrylady here on BYC, she is in TN. Not familiar enought with the state to know exactly where, but she hatches out and sells a lot of chicks of different breeds. She may have something available you would be interested in. I would recommend her and I don't think she is outrageously priced either.

8. cugo18

cugo18 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    devers
    sorry guys im not looking to get anymore babies i am hatching my own at this time maybe trying to get rid of a few myself have to many amaericanas anyone know who wants to buy any they are around 4 months old

9. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Cheapest and tamest hens are red sexlinked hens plus willout lay anyother breed. Would also be the easyest to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by