orpingtons? roo and pullet??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Dec 1, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    are these orpingtons? what would there colours be called please? they are both 5 months old (and blooming huge already!!!!!) one moreso than the other so im thinking one roo one pullet....but the 'pullet' has pointyish feathers on her neck??? im stumped? is the big roo a frizzle or is that how all roo's from this breed look?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    no they are not orfs orfs have white legs the black one look like astrolops the bared roo is a mix

3. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Being that you are in another country I am going to say that Yes they are most likely Orpingtons. Black orpingtons do not have white legs, they indeed do have black legs. I have some excellent black orps that I show and they all have black legs. The barred cockerel that you have have is gorgeous! [​IMG] I am not real familiar with all the other colours available in other countries but I believe him to be some sort of Barred or Cuckoo pattern? He does seem to have whitish legs which is a trait of the Orpingtons and I just love his basketball body. At any rate, he is very beautiful and would be welcome here anytime. [​IMG] By the way, I believe your black is a pullet and the barred is a cockerel.

Hopefully someone with more years of Orpington experience will chime in. [​IMG]

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    the black one is most definatlely NOT an australorp(!)

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    henthymes many thanks for your reply..most helpful [​IMG] the roo is called Goliath and is such a sweetie pie, id compare him to a little pup, always follows me round, even comes inside and tries to sit by the stove. the pullet is not so friendly and very skittish, i think if they could fly she'd have been long gone over the fence!

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:he means orps

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Does the barred bird have feathered feet? Can't tell from the pics. I'm wondering if he has some cochin mixed in? Just from how fluffy and rounded he looks.......then again, different continent. Could be normal there. [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    LOL People who are used to hatchery quality Orpingtons are funny.

Yes, those are Orpingtons. The black one is a beautiful Black Orpington pullet, the barred one is a Cuckoo Orpington cockerel.

Very nice birds. [​IMG] Over in the US we don't even have barred Orpingtons.

Also to those curious, Orpingtons are supposed to be fluffy. Not as fluffy as the UK and Europe breeding, but far bigger and fluffier than your average hatchery-stock Orpington. [​IMG]

9. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    many thanks for the replies. i bought these birds knowing they were sick (sneezing and snotty) the owner was going to cull them if noone bought them and they were just too beautiful to let them die. i keep them far far away from my other chickens but touch wood their health has increased since coming here. just the odd sneeze now and then from the pullet, for the rest they are in near tip top condition now...amazing what a bit of tlc can do [​IMG] im so pleased i know what they are now...i can look for a few more pullets to add and keep these as a closed flock on my terras [​IMG]

10. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:ditto

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by