1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

orpingtons - what colour will we be?? lavender? cuckoo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, May 16, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    hi all, i hatched out 2 eggs from my orps, they are now 3 weeks old, just wondering if i could get some idea on what colour they will be? im guessing its too early to sex them though the one with barring is twice as stocky/heavy than the other.

one has barring coming in on the wings, but also blocks of white feathers? the other is yellow/white and a gorgeous lavender colour.....

mum could be from any of my hens (cuckoo, buff, lavender,/pearl grey, blue or black) only orp roo is cuckoo (though his father was pearl grey)

am i right in thinking one cuckoo one lavender or will the colours turn out different than i hope? these are my first orp babies ever [​IMG])
    also is it normal that the wing feathers grow in at such an odd angle? out of all the chicks ive ever hatched wing feathers have never grown in like this before? they look...well...shabby! all odd lengths.

chick 1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    2 looks like a lav

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    #1 Black Cuckoo
    #2 Lavender

Gorgeous chicks by the way! [​IMG]

~Aspen

4. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    many thanks for the confirmation, does anyone know if the white 'band' will go from chick one (it runs from under the chin to his bum) once he feathers out? or will that be a whte band of feathers?

5. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    1st one looks black cukoo but could just end up being a cool splash.the white under chin an belly will feather out all black on pures.the 2nd one looks lav yellow belly an lave top the white is a little conserning though i see white wing feathers on it 2.give them 2 more week an repost they will be feathered out by then.they are great looking chicks

Last edited: May 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by