Orpingtons with darkened feathers above her eyes...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unbaked pegga, Jun 22, 2018.

1. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Songster

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    41EBE614-2940-486F-9EAF-B9E240231F89.jpeg In my quest to try and keep my chickens healthy for at least a month is not going as planned. This is my oldest buff. She is either 3 or 4 years old. She (as well as the other 2 have a chronic respiratory issue which the vet said was “probably mycoplasma” she has been on antibiotics when she has flare ups which this year seems to have been all summer. She breaths with her beak open constantly and on the days that are really hot AND humid she really struggles. She has an audible whistle and wheeze. I put out fresh cold water every day and there is a lot of shade trees but she still struggles with this. I have ordered some erythromycin because I have tried tetracycline, Tylan orally) Baytril and denagard and nothing is helping her. Reading here I see where some people have had good response from this drug so am going to try this. They all have developed scaly leg mites and I started treatment for those last night. But today I am noticing some visibly darkened area over both eyes and I think one of the others has it as well. Is this something to be worried about (in addition to her respiratory issues) I am enclosing a picture

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018

2. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Songster

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    Nobody has responded to my last 2 posts. (?) Thanks anyway I guess

3. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I think the darkened feathers are probably all part of the same issue with the MG. Probably from increased drainage from the eyes collecting dirt. She also looks like she has some facial swelling. I've not personally dealt with MG in my flock so don't have personal experience to share. A couple of links with info that may be helpful to you.
    http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/mycoplasma-gallisepticum
    https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry

unbaked pegga and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Erythromycin is not as effective as it once was against a variety of bacteria. Tylan is pretty effective against MG, and Baytril is probably the strongest in treating some diseases. Many people with MG here on BYC tend to eventually try Denagard (generic is tiamulin) when they have MG or chronic respiratory disease in their flocks. Keep in mind that you will probably never cure your chickens with MG—they may alsways have relapses. They also may get secondary infections that complicate matters. Sorry you are having such bad luck. When the last of your birds is gone, if you wait a few weeks, then you can get healthy birds to start over. Hatchery chicks are the safest, since many breeders have something in their flocks.

Wyorp Rock, BY Bob and Tesumph like this.

5. Tesumph

Tesumph Free Ranging

Jul 10, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    If Baytril didn’t help, I’m afraid no antibiotics really will. If she is livestock to you then you might consider culling. If she’s a beloved pet, maybe look into bringing her inside. It all depends on your situation but there is no cure for mycoplasma, you just have to try and make them comfortable for the remainder of their lives.
    If it is that hot where you live, then this flair up won’t just go away, her body is stressed and that’s when it comes out.

Sorry you’re going through this. When I had pet rats, I dealt with chronic mycoplasma, so I know how frustrating it is. Good luck.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Songster

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    I gave the Denegard 8 mls for only a week. Should I give it for a month,?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think the directions are for 3-5 days for treatment, and the preventative dose is once a month at half the dose for 3-5 days. Some have posted about using tetracyclines or tylan at the same time for treatment. I have never used it, so I would recommend doing some research.

unbaked pegga likes this.

9. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Songster

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    Thank you so much for sharing. I have really worked hard to help them with the symptoms but I haven't succeeded. I went to UCLA white papers and they wrote that bactrim was the first line treatment then tylan. So I ordered some of that and will see if it will help them get the symptoms under control

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by