1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Orpingtons

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by msarnold, Mar 15, 2017.

1. msarnold

msarnold Hatching

Mar 15, 2017
    Northeast Ohio
    I have access to 6 male 6 month old Orpingtons. I'm told they are 8-8.5#. Would these be ok as meat birds? What are your thoughts or experience with this breed?

2. caboodleschicks

caboodleschicks Crowing

Feb 17, 2017
    South Carolina
    I have 3 buff Orpingtons and they are 3 months old and already weigh 2 pounds, but with all their feathers, they are the same size as my full grown Silkie chicken! :) I have read so much about all breeds and buff Orpingtons! Buff Orpingtons are dull purpose! They are good for eggs and meat. They say rule of thumb, if they are 6 pounds or 6 months old, you can go ahead and cull, kill, them and eat them or you can wait a little longer if you want to see how big they'll get! :)

http://www.bootsandchickenpoop.wix.com/mysite

3. msarnold

msarnold Hatching

Mar 15, 2017
    Northeast Ohio
    Thank you. That was such great info!!

4. caboodleschicks

caboodleschicks Crowing

Feb 17, 2017
    South Carolina
    No problem!!! :) I love helping people! :D

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    6 months of age will be a little old for frying birds. But make great crockpot, roasting, baking, or smoking birds. Low and slow heat with older than 4 month birds.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

They should be wonderful.

I agree, too old for fryers. Maybe a bit old for roasters, depending. But cut them up and crockpot them and pull the meat for casseroles, pot pie, chicken salad, tacos, ect and you'll have some good eatin' [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by