Orpingtons!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bethanyc, Mar 16, 2015.

1. bethanyc

bethanyc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Hello everyone. So that my coop is now in progress, my family and I have been researching so we can decide what breed we would like. My mom came across orpingtons. We think this is a good breed for our family since we would like the chickens as pets rather then just for the egg laying. Opinions on this breed? Thanks!

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    orpingtons are good...most are quite friendly, and are good layers. very pretty too :) i've had a lot, but right now only have one buff named sunbeam...she is pretty and quiet, one of the nicest layers i own. good choice [​IMG]

3. whitney556

whitney556 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2015
    Georgia
    I have 2 buff orpingtons, one rooster, one pullet. The female still hasn't started laying yet ( I think they are about 6 months old now) so I can't comment on egg laying yet :p but behavior wise they are great. They are both very friendly, and the girl is very quiet. The roo on the other hand is very loud and vocal, and crows all day, starting before dawn. But I suppose that's just typical rooster behavior :) The female will also even let my 1 1/2 year old come up and give her a few pets!

4. bethanyc

bethanyc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Thank you everyone! I just realized how hard orpingtons are to come by. We are having trouble finding hens of the ones we want. What are yalls opinions on ordering chicks? "Chickensforbackyards.com" to be exact? thanks!

5. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i have successfully ordered many chicks, and think it is a good option. I don't have any expiriance with that particular hatchery, but i would recommend murray mcmurarry or efowl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by