Orpintons and eggs

3goodeggs

pays attention sporadically
10 Years
May 22, 2009
North Central Florida
My girls are getting big. I had read to expect eggs at 8 months, so we (husband) are (is) taking our (his) time making laying boxes.
The girls are six months old. I also read that comb color is an indication of readiness. Only two have red combs...but we are thinking they may be the roosters, as we really can not see any major sex differences. (24 chickens-I really did not expect more than half to survive chickdom, which means they all did.
hmm.png
)

I just really do not want an egg laid in the run and they start playing soccer with it, and then it breaks and they decide it's 'yummy and wonderful' and doom my chances of ever getting eggs.
Do I need to light a fire under someone's tush, or bring out all of his tools and give it the old college try myself? Is time awastin'? They are big chickens or I'd put in some plastic pots or milk crates. but I think they'd get stuck.
Any help would be SO welcome!Thank you !

You should get your nest boxes soon. They could lay anytime now. Mine didnt wait until 8 months. I got eggs from a few around 6 months and now at 8 months everyone is in full swing.

I have been using plastic 5 gallon buckets on their sides as nest boxes. I know orps look a little big for them but they are alot of feathers and you would be suprised what they will fit into.

Um, my Orp started at about 6 1/2 months. My Austrolorps (almost as big) start 2 weeks before that.
The boxes are pretty easy to assemble. I think you should have a few in there just so they get used to it too (just in case).
My girls also like the old horse corner feeder, actually they yell at each other to hurry up so they can have a turn. I usually find at least 2 eggs in there.
So if you don't have the patience or tools for boxes, maybe you can grab someones old feeders and put some hay in them for a nest for now, till Hubby gets a few different ones made?
Your first egg is like finding treasure. I would be so sad if all you found was a shell...
I know they are a large dual purpose breed, but most start to lay at 6 mos. Only giants lay later...that I know of.

My BO just turned 6 months, and started laying today!

Get those boxes ready!

Post some pictures in the "What gender/breed" section, and someone will tell you if your red combs boys or girls.

You can expect eggs from your Orp. ladies anywhere from 25 to 35 wks. old, so it will be soon! The nest boxes need to get done A.S.A.P. and with it being the weekend, guess what your husband can do?!?!
big_smile.png

I'd use a milk crate until he gets them built. I think your girls will fit it them perfectly.

I've been reliably getting my first eggs at 6 months of age... Australorps at 5 - 5.5 months of age.

Yes.. hurry to get SOMETHING in there for them to get used to, get the urge and start "nesting". An unused storage tote, milk crate, XXL plant pot, or even a cardboard box since its temporary.

Yes.. they'll pull all the hay out a couple of times probably, but that's just par for the course, as they get familiar with this new addition to their coop/run.

If you can't see significant differences at 6 months, then you probably have all hens. Which is amazing with 24 hens. I got 3 roos out of 16. But, from about 2 months the roos comb, wattles were always red and at 5 months they're 3 to 4 times the size of hens. And their legs are a dead give away, 3 times thicker. Post pic, we'll help you figure it out.
I like using the milk crate. My DH cut a board to fit inside and we attached a poop board over 6 of them.

My BO's started at about 21-22 weeks so you are getting close.

Here is a look at my layers combs at 22 weeks

33744_dsc04616.jpg

Please note the rooster is over 1 yr old from a different flock.

Back
Top Bottom