Orpintons

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by SuperPeacockman, Sep 1, 2010.

1. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I would like to buy some buff orpingtons. I want a strain that is large, friendly, and great at brooding eggs. Does anyone know which hatchery I should order from? one last thing they need to be able to sex the chicks, I only want a few roosters.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I use the Meyer Hatchery in Polk Ohio, and I've been very happy with my Buffs.

3. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    You definitely want to go to go here http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/ for superior birds at a very fair price.

I bought hatching eggs here, got a great hatch, and the birds (now three months old) look awesome.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Mine came from Ideal Poultry in Texas. Very friendly, fluffy and sweet birds, and, they have them in stock right now. (or at least they did last night when I checked!)

5. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    We love our Buff Orps from Hinkjc . They are very big and fluffy. They are also very friendly birds.

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Try finding a breeder here on BYC first. You will find better stock from a breeder than a hatchery. You might post a want add in the "Wated To Buy" section.
    Good luck

7. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    i have 4 that came from meyers... love them.... however i also agree to try byc breeders first... here is the link to the orprinton breed thread here on byc.. you can look to see what people have already.. and you can post there as to what you're looking for as well

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=259995

good luck

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:If you want a bird to go broody, you won't get it with roosters! [​IMG]

9. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I have Buff Orps from both Meyer and Mt. Healthy. They are both nice hatchery birds but the Mt. Healthy Orps are a little larger. Hinkjc Orps are gorgeous!

10. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I meant I wanted mostly hens
    Quote:If you want a bird to go broody, you won't get it with roosters! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by