Orps, Barred Rock, Bearded Polish, and Frizzle Cochin

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by deedletree, Sep 16, 2010.

1. deedletree

deedletree Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    Hey Chicken Folks,

I have a backyard flock in a city that doesn't allow roosters, so am hoping for as many pullets as possible.

My two buff Orpingtons (Nancy and Billina) and my Barred Rock (Antonia) were sexed chicks. The bearded Polish (Fluffy the Vampire Slayer) and the Cochin (Echo) were straight-run. I should've known better than to buy straight-run chicks, but I saw them at an Urban Homesteading booth at a festival, and couldn't resist the frizzles!

Most of the chicks are five weeks old, and the barred rock is seven weeks. I'm beginning to see some traits from Fluffy and Nancy that fit with what I'm reading from the forum are early cockerel signs.

So, here are some pics of Nancy and Billina:

Nancy's comb and wing
    [​IMG]

Nancy's wattles
    [​IMG]

Antonia
    [​IMG]

Antonia
    [​IMG]

Billina's comb
    [​IMG]

Billina's wattles
    [​IMG]

Billina (foreground) with Nancy
    [​IMG]

Billina and Nancy
    [​IMG]

Billina yawning (not crowing)
    [​IMG]

Fluffy, wing and side
    [​IMG]

Fluffy's brand spanking new comb
    [​IMG]

Echo
    [​IMG]

Echo's comb
    [​IMG]

Am I being cockerel-phobic, or do I have two (Nancy and Fluffy)? Is it too soon to tell? I have no previous experience with chickens, so will sincerely appreciate any help you can offer!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The BR is for sure a female. I don't see anything yet on the Orps to indicate a rooster, but they are still a bit young. Fluffy looks like a rooster. Not sure on Echo, but at this point I'd say female.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Fluffy could be a boy - But hatchery Polish girls also have large combs, too. But either way, most likely a boy.

The rest all look like pullets.

4. deedletree

deedletree Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    Thanks for the lightning fast input!

What I'm seeing with Nancy has me nervous is: 1) her wattles and the base of her beak are 2 shades redder than Billina, 2) the feathers at the top of her wings are taking on a different look than Billina's and 3) her tail sits straighter than Billina's. Is she just a pullet developing faster than her sister? This would be awesome, because she has the more calm temperament of the two Orps.

With respect to Fluffy, I was kind of figuring she would end up a rooster. She had pneumonia the first week I had her, so I have been counting on Murphy's Law to make her crow later in life.

Also: I've been wondering what is up with the lack of a bony ornament underlying her head feathers? Did the frizzle-mixing lose the ornament, or is this a trait of some Polish?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by